Winter bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I do find this forum useful for asking what must seem to the old hands, silly questions. So here's another one which l have been pondering.
Winter bees. What triggers the queen/workers to know the time has come to produce winter bees?
If the autumn is particularly mild do they delay, or what? Can they get caught out by leaving it too late?
Also, are winter bees just a symptom of northern climes? Presumably in zones where there is no winter, workers are produced year round? If such bees were to be introduced to northern climes would they be genetically incapable of producing winter bees, therefore die out in the winter?

Like most beekeeping, it's not determined by the calendar ...

Winter bee rearing is a direct consequence of increased forager pheromone (less foraging, so more pheromone in the hive) and decreased brood pheromone (less forage coming in, so less brood rearing).

Screenshot-2019-11-28-17.28.37.png

Taken from this paper by Christina Grozinger and colleagues.

Presumably in zones where there is no winter, workers are produced year round?

Even in the tropics and sub Saharan Africa there are seasons, it can get bleeding cold in much of South Africa - Lesotho even has a ski resort. bees gather and store nectar for the periods where there is no forage, the rainy seasons are just that - rainy, so they will still have their cycles of 'winter' bees.

I could do with some of that 'slowed behavioural maturation' stuff! Surprised no one has harnessed the phrase for 'staying young' potion!
E

Even in the tropics and sub Saharan Africa there are seasons, it can get bleeding cold in much of South Africa - Lesotho even has a ski resort. bees gather and store nectar for the periods where there is no forage, the rainy seasons are just that - rainy, so they will still have their cycles of 'winter' bees.
So perhaps should more accurately be called 'seasonal bees' rather than 'winter bees'?

Like most beekeeping, it's not determined by the calendar ...

Winter bee rearing is a direct consequence of increased forager pheromone (less foraging, so more pheromone in the hive) and decreased brood pheromone (less forage coming in, so less brood rearing).

Screenshot-2019-11-28-17.28.37.png

Taken from this paper by Christina Grozinger and colleagues.

Note CURRENT Opinion. Like everything in bee science a new theory pops up every other day.

I never said it was. I was adding a link referring to the pheromones on the diagram.

Trying to keep the thread on track rather than going off on an argumentative tangent.

HNY

PH

I never said it was. I was adding a link referring to the pheromones on the diagram.

Trying to keep the thread on track rather than going off on an argumentative tangent.

HNY

PH

Ok, sorry PH. It will help if you make it clear in your post to whom you're replying.

It seems the edit function is no longer working. The software on the site is creaking more and more it seems. Picture restrictions etc are looking very old fashioned. It's surely time for an upgrade?

Last edited:
It seems the edit function is no longer working. The software on the site is creaking more and more it seems. Picture restrictions etc are looking very old fashioned. It's surely time for an upgrade?

It works for me and I see nothing wrong with the site.
I'm sure Admin knows his stuff and will (as usual) make sure the site runs with it's usual smoothness without any petty criticisms from the sidelines

Back