Windows XP

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're quite capable anytime ,supported or not :(
Vm

When Microsoft bring out new systems they carry on supporting the preceding system for quite some time afterwards . When they consider it no longer worth while ,they stop supporting it
That is, they stop updating security ,bug fixes etc.
It's then up to you to look tighten up your security ,fix / patch any probs .
In other words you are on your own:)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ps no it won't stop working :)

Not now hopefully:D

When Microsoft bring out new systems they carry on supporting the preceding system for quite some time afterwards . When they consider it no longer worth while ,they stop supporting it
That is, they stop updating security ,bug fixes etc.
It's then up to you to look tighten up your security ,fix / patch any probs .
In other words you are on your own:)
VM

I dont allow updates anyway. I often found that they can cause problems. Like people on the latest Int Explorer who are having problems listing on ebay.

My PC is worth about £10. (on a good day) but from what I have seen it works just as well as new ones which have twin double core things with super duper whatsits.

Super fast broadband!!!...A page not loading very quick is down to the server of the web page and not all to do with broadband. Virgin kept telling us that for £?'s we could have double speed B/B and then announced that they were introducing it anyway, and when they did, it didnt make any difference here.
I think half of peoples PC problems are that they have too many programmes initiated from startup half running in the background, and if they werent constantly downloading stuff without checking exactly what they are downloading they wouldnt end up with 20 search engines and all sorts of browsers.

I think half of peoples PC problems are that they have too many programmes initiated from startup half running in the background, and if they werent constantly downloading stuff without checking exactly what they are downloading they wouldnt end up with 20 search engines and all sorts of browsers.

Haha see this all too often, the amount of people that went out and bought new computers because of this I had their old ones running faster than their new ones after.

use UBUNTU then you dont need to worry about viruses or tot old computer anymore. it's even cheaper

Despite not being an MS fan, I do have to applaud them for supporting Windows XP 12 years after it came out.
That said, without security updates you are cruzin for a bruzin.
Unlikely to be caught out by a virus, but more likely to have an exploit that either makes your PC take part in some sort of attach, or that sends your credit card details/passwords to someone you are going to wish didn't have it... without you knowing.
Of course the simple solution is not to have it connected to the internet. (Yes, we used to run computers like that.)

Despite not being an MS fan, I do have to applaud them for supporting Windows XP 12 years after it came out.
That said, without security updates you are cruzin for a bruzin.
Unlikely to be caught out by a virus, but more likely to have an exploit that either makes your PC take part in some sort of attach, or that sends your credit card details/passwords to someone you are going to wish didn't have it... without you knowing.
Of course the simple solution is not to have it connected to the internet. (Yes, we used to run computers like that.)

I think that most attacks are down to the users stupidity anyway.
I dont use updates on MS or Firefox, Virgin does its job ok.
I use Outlook Express for mail and can read whats in an email without opening it, and all my mail is scooped up by OE from other service providers, so its already gone thro a scan anyway.

Erm. You may be lucky... to be fair most attacks happen via the browser rather than through the OS these days... but XP will not longer be getting updates to its browser.
Up until a few years ago, I might have agreed with you about user stupidity. Nowadays there are specially crafted apps on legitimate websites that can do nasty things and they hide their activity until they have done their evil deeds.
You might be lucky and you stand less chance of being caught out than a 'stupid user'.

When the alternative is Windows 8, which (despite having three decades of IT experience, and being a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) I had to search on Google to find out how to turn off, I think I would rather stay with XP.
...or I would have if I hadn't discovered Apple.... but there you don't get 12 years support for an OS. You get one.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

but XP will not longer be getting updates to its browser.
Never allowed them anyway..so I cant see it will make any difference..

any problems that I have had came from google when looking for new things I can make.

"You have been viewing illegal images and your browser is locked ...............

unless you pay us"

I just unplug the modem... reboot and Firefox tells me "oh dear, we dont seem to be able to start up.... select the pages you want to open and try again" In fact its a matter of selecting the ones I dont want to start and then I plug the modem back in.

I use three hard-drives. One is the operating system and a few progs, another keeps all my working files and some more progs and is backed up to the external drive which is hardly ever plugged in..

Last edited:
This should make a few of you laugh.

Just checked on what makes my PC tick..

AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.8 Ghz

768 MB ram.

One little trick I learned a couple of years ago..

The processor heatsink collects muck in the fins... and slows it down to the point where it will overheat and the PC will freeze..

Latest posts

Back