Willowherb & balsam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
These are both in flower here at the moment and my bees are going ballistic.
Arent these plants usually in flower at different times?
Also, ther seems to be much more balsam around than in previous years. It's everywhere I look at the moment.

These are both in flower here at the moment and my bees are going ballistic.
Arent these plants usually in flower at different times?
Also, ther seems to be much more balsam around than in previous years. It's everywhere I look at the moment.
Balsam thrives in damp conditions and will germinate in places far removed from water if the ground is saturated as is the case this Summer.
Willow herb is 3 weeks to a month late ! Whereas golden rod for example is bang on time and seems to attract as many foragers as Balsam? Pollen off golden rod is what I would describe as 'Old Gold' in colour !
I posted earlier that I hadn't seen bees collecting pollen off the Golden rod but closer inspection has proved me wrong !
VM

Last edited:
Balsam thrives in damp conditions and will germinate in places far removed from water if the ground is saturated as is the case this Summer.
Willow herb is 3 weeks to a month late ! Whereas golden rod for example is bang on time and seems to attract as many foragers as Balsam? Pollen off golden rod is what I would describe as 'Old Gold' in colour !
I posted earlier that I hadn't seen bees collecting pollen off the Golden rod but closer inspection has proved me wrong !
VM

Yes. Golden rod too.

We had lots of Balsam around here and a great honey crop as a result for the past couple of years. HOWEVER, the council decided to have a clear out at the end of last year and all but a few stems remain. I'm hoping that these will seed merrily this year and we'll be back to normal soon. Shame though - bees seem to be struggling to find a good alternative :banghead:

ooops .... all but a few stems were destroyed .... must be the heat :)

ooops .... all but a few stems were destroyed .... must be the heat :)
A few days sunshine has Balsam wilting even though it appears to be a semi succulent , judging by the fluid filled stems ?
VM

Balsam is a non native introduction and is an invasive species , while good for bees its not so good for the habitats where it is normally found here (riparian habitats) . Local authorities and those managing fisheries do try to eradicate it in some locations..

Balsam is a non native introduction and is an invasive species , while good for bees its not so good for the habitats where it is normally found here (riparian habitats) . Local authorities and those managing fisheries do try to eradicate it in some locations..

Yes : I've heard and read that many times. But it is usually found round here on waste ground, in areas where nothing is cultivated and appears to live in harmony with nettles and brambles.

Eradication is largely futile : see other imported species like: rhododendron.

(For eradication to work, you need to start at the top of the watercourse and work down.. the sporadic efforts I see, usually start in the middle !)

Most invasive species rapidly colonise virgin territory . Take 'Fire weed' (Rose Bay Willow herb ). Square miles of London was covered with it after the Blitz!! (hence the nick name Fire weed) .
Given 60 /70 years it has stabilised to blend in (Perhaps the high potash of after fire ash has diminished )
Balsam isn't as invasive as is often stated . It succumbs to dry conditions . I see all the native waterside plants managing to survive regardless of it's reputation of crowding other species out !
Clover invades paddocks in quick time (few horses will eat it )
Finally , all plant life in the UK were once alien imports ,after all the place was covered in ice 10,000 years ago , a time span which is tiny in comparison with the time span this planet has been colonised by all life forms !
Nature will sort it'self out , it always does one way or another ! Mans best intentions usually succeed in only delaying the process !
VM

Latest posts

Back