Why kick the drones out in May

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB008

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I came home from work and had a quick glance at my hives. One had a pile of dead bees outside. On suiting up I discovered these were in fact a pile of dopey drones that had been expelled from one hive. A quick peek in the hive and all looked well.

I took off the Spring crop on Saturday but left plenty of stores in the double BF,s which I double checked on Sunday so they cannot be starving. This one colony just decided to evict these drones so I wonder why. Any ideas.

I noticed a distinct lack of drones in the apiary today... and found 6 (apparently) well-mated queens.

I agree with RAB

They dont do the housework and are noisy when they come home.

The love hate relationship with the bees and drones battles on all year. A few weeks of bad weather and falling back on stores as no nectar coming Into the hive the bees will throw out the drones.

Perhaps they know what weather we will have for the rest of our summer? Going into winter mode already?

I noticed a distinct lack of drones in the apiary today... and found 6 (apparently) well-mated queens.

I agree with RAB

Probably got a bit more Brynmair blood in them from my Llandybie apiary then - to boost the genes you bought in last year!

Well the two cast swarms from my hives that I caught were both bias. Very plump looking babies. They did not hang around after swarming to do the housework!

One of my hives are removing drone brood. Presumably, because they have enough drones already. Not taken any honey from this one yet.

I also noticed that there is more honey in my (temporarily) queenless hive (about 2 supers) than there is the the queen right one (2 half-filled).

The Q+ hive has 8 14x12 combs stuffed with brood. I mean crammed to the corners. The queen was last spotted on the outside of the first comb (i.e. next to the wall of the hive). The face of the comb was completely full of sealed brood.

I am wondering if the economics are that there is a net deficit in the nectar gathering/consumption in that hive - so goodbye drones. She will have mustered a huge foraging force for about 3 or 4 weeks time...

That hive is also the one that had no swarming impulse (up until 3 days before the inspector called). Suddenly put in a load of queen cups for the visit of the inspector... and removed them a few days later.

Back