Why have they done this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Photo of a brood frame and it’s not the first time I’ve seen this in a brood frame, it looks like where the cells are made over the wire there is less brood been reared for what reason ?

IMG_2695.jpegIMG_2696.jpeg

I have seen it in the past and also get a similar scenario with foundationless frames when using kebab skewers for wax buidling support. Fishing line isn't such an issue as my lot tend to chew them away.

Maybe it just interferes with the cell architecture - like if you had a steel beam too low in your living room and had to duck underneath every time you crossed the room!!

No idea. Most of my brood frames have looked like this all the years I’ve been keeping bees. Never seen it over fishing line

There are people who claim that it's not a problem with stainless wire, only the zinc-coated(?) steel stuff used in of the cheaper less expensive foundation. I have no idea if that's true or not.

James

There are people who claim that it's not a problem with stainless wire, only the zinc-coated(?) steel stuff used in of the cheaper less expensive foundation. I have no idea if that's true or not.

James
It's a different system here where you don't buy foundation with wire in it. I use stainless wire and wire my own frames, embedding the foundation into it, and I see it. I always thought it was to do with the wire tending to muck up the base of the cell so the queen avoids laying in it. I thought that after a while the workers eventually manage to smooth the base out enough.

Latest posts

Back