why are my bees doing mass nasanoving

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicklinda

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have had a small colony of bees for 3 months and all was going well till we found queen cups on thursday and split these into three nucs. On Friday the main hive swarmed, we managed to get them all including the queen into a box which we emptied onto a sheet in front of the hive and we watched the queen march up towards the entrance. However a few inches away she took flight & we are not sure if she ever entered the hive. The rest of the bees continued to go inside and have since seemed to settle down. There is virtually no pollen being taken in but there are quite a lot of bees coming and going, but in the early afternoon there is a lot of buzzing about in front of the hive and a lot of bees nazanoving(not sure if that's the correct phrase) and today there were maybe 100-200 bees standing in front of the hive just doping this. Is this an indication that our queen did not go into the hive ? We were trying to give them a few days peace to settle down but should we do a hive inspection if the weather is suitable?

With luck your queen returned you and are better to leave well alone for a few more days as it may well take several days for her to come back into lay. I would suggest if you are sure that was a prime swarm and the laying queen you could unite at a later stage

We have all our fingers & toes crossed that she did return!
It was definitely the prime swarm - I was working in the garden & saw them go and we still have a lot of bees in the hive - we have a Perspex crown board so can see them. they are fairly drinking the sugar syrup now, but just unsure as to why we have as many bees out in front of the hive in the early afternoons as they never did this before the swarm

If I am reading this correctly your hive swarmed, and you tried to put them back on the hive they came from? In my understanding they don't usually swarm until at least one queen cell is sealed. Are you confident you found all the queen cells?

Well spotted I assumed op was running the into a new hive

yes we had removed all but 2 frames of brood & stores which definitely had nothing on them on the Thursday but when we rechecked after they swarmed there was a brand new queen cup on the side of the frame which I have a photo of the day before with nothing. There was a sealed queen cell on the Tursday so whether having decided to swarm for some reason they just went ahead anyway, I guess we will never know but we were advised by a friend to take out these 2 frames as well just leaving foundation in the brood box and the super above which they had previously drawn and had started filling with some honey. There are now a lot of bees in that super

If the bees are fanning the entrance with the Nasonov Gland they think they have a Queen of some kind in there..be it the old one or a emerged Virgin or a laying worker/workers..forget the laying workers for now..either way you have a stale mate..do i check or do i leave alone..
Personally i would check asap to make sure you have a Queen of some kind or a Queen cell to fix the problem.. if you leave it too long you may well loose another swarm.

Back