Who I am

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I had possibly introduce myself and put up some information about my past beekeeping.

I worked in the offshore oil business for 28 years in a number of capacities, Roustabout Roughneck, yep the guys that throw the pipe around, Helideck work, Cleaning Foreman and latterly Materials Man.

In 1987 my ex wife and I started beekeeping and by 1990 we had some 8 colonies or so.

B. Mobus was the last Bee Advisor at the North of Scotland's College of Agriculture apiary at Craibstone estate, and he was being pushed into retiring early so the unit could be closed down. This famous Apiary was where the disease we know as Acarine, was diagnosed thanks to a gift of money from a Mr Wood, of some £6000, which in the 20's was a very substantial sum indeed. Now you know too why it is called woodi!

Bernard knew I was a very keep beeman and asked me if I would consider running Craibstone when he left thinking that possibly the college might change it's mind.

And so it came to pass that Moira and I ran Craibstone for 5 years, along with the 50 colonies that came with it.

At times we were running 80+ and literally producing some 2 tons of blossom and more and also near a ton of heather, plus quite a lot of cut comb.

Then things got a bit silly as it was a fourty mile trip near every day so we built a honey house at home and moved out of Craibstone and reduced our numbers to about 30.

I then had a rota change to 21 and 21 and that was the death knell. Moira couldn't cope and gradually it all went down hill. I got depressed and the last straw was the farmer we had had a very amiable relationship with for years for goodness knows what reason deciding we had abandoned the apiary and burning all the kit we had there. Stocks and all.

I was devastated and had a spell of drinking far too much and also began to separate from my wife.

I am now divorced, living with my wonderful new partner whom I am marrying later this year, and off the rigs running our new and so far successful venture Morton House Hotel.

During my time of having rather a few colonies I had the privilege of being Mentored by Hamish Robertson of Struan apiaries, arguably one of the best marketing men in the honey business, and a beekeeper who began with a couple of hives and managed to hold down a full time job as well as run 400 colonies!

I was and am also very fortunate to have been advised by Murray McGregor who is one of the biggest Bee Farmers in the UK running some 2000+ colonies and producing many tons per year for the bulk market.

So there you have it, my background and where I come from. I don't believe in fiddling around, my bees work for me and my methods and techniques are proven.

I have made I think just about every mistake that it is possible to make. However "Being Telt" is not the same as making your own foul ups. That is painful and drives the point home.

If anyone wants a chat and or some tips I am available. I cannot repay my mentors other than, as they said to me, passing it on.

Pete

Top blog post,thank you.
Its nice to learn what mentor's Beekeeepers have had over the years.

Latest posts

Back