Where to site a new swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry G

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
2. No, 3. No, 2 again
Well, as the new bees seem to have survived ok hurrah and are now going like good 'uns I've decided I can't live without the adrenaline rush of anxiety and uncertainty so I've lodged a bait hive up one of my apple trees. In the hilariously unlikely event that I actually manage to attract a swarm where should I site the new lot in relation to the existing colony? I know it should be some way from the home team to guard against introducing the evils, but how far? Are we talking a few feet? Many feet? Continents?
Getting the hive out of the tree is, of course, another matter...

a few feet is fine, 3 usually works

a few feet is fine, 3 usually works
I have worked on less than that. Once they have realised they have been moved and memorised where their new home is they dont seem to notice much else. Curious for a few hours and follow you round the garden tho.

I thibnk what the OP is asking is how far awy from the home hive he should quarantine the swarm. - totally different location I would say.

Ideally, but our RBI was saying that apart from AFB/EFB spread of disease from hive to adjacent hive is unpredictable - all depends on colony strength and general health/genetics.

Varroa is going to spread anyway so if there is no alternative location available just live with it and check/treat for Varroa.

Most 'minor' bee diseases will be helped if there has been a swarm anyway - same as shook swarm to some extent. A fellow beek told me that hives witb real disease problems tend not to swarm anyway ... not sure whether this is right or not - been looking on the web for evidence but can't find any.

Is the hive straped up while in the tree?

Jc

Yes, it's got one strap round it and the brood box is attached to the floor with over-centre clips.

I thibnk what the OP is asking is how far awy from the home hive he should quarantine the swarm. .

Yes indeed - I must try to stop whimsy triumphing over clarity in my posts.

I thibnk what the OP is asking is how far awy from the home hive he should quarantine the swarm. - totally different location I would say.

so he is, diff site then, but 3mile doesn't apply, although if from other apiary that doesn't matter anyway

kiss - different apiary!

Latest posts

Back