First inspection this week - any tips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I took a long break from keeping bees after my previous colonies were wiped out by wasps, so I consider myself very much a novice.

With two captured swarms from last year and a donated colony, I have three colonies to inspect. They're now at the end of the garden where I can keep a closer eye on them. My previous site was an orchard and I'm convinced it was the apples rotting on the ground that attracted the wasps that decimated the hives.

One of the captured swarms and the donated colony have been very busy in this sunny weather. The 2nd swarm colony, less so. Bees coming and going, but not so many. So, I thought to open up this least active hive, first. What should I expect to find, and what should I be looking for at first inspection, please?

Also, as the nights are still very cold here in Wales, I've left the insulation I placed around the hives in place. So too, the removeable floors. And also the entrances are just small at the moment. When might be best to remove insulation and open up the entrances, do you think?

Latest posts

Back