Where can I find information on different UK honey bee varieties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeOnMyWay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm in Saffron Walden (Essex). Most beekeepers locally seem to have either dark coloured honey bees or very light chocolate brown ones. All the lighter coloured ones I've encountered so far (including my own) are very docile, but the darker ones seem far more productive. I'd like to find out more about both but surprisingly have drawn a blank online. Are they both still Apis mellifera mellifera? I'm sure there must be some information. Can anyone supply me with some relevent links or refer me to any books that cover this, please?
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Buy and read Celia F. Davis's book, 'The HoneyBee Around and About.'

From what I read on this forum, you'll be lucky to get anything close to the true native dark bee Apis mellifera mellifera in Britain.

ISBN: 978-0-900147-08-1

Many thanks. In a way I find it reassuring that I haven't had a torrent of replies telling me that the information is available everywhere. I'm not concerned about 'pure' bred (or even UK bred) bees. I'm just curious about these two most prevalent varieties.

I'm irish in Ireland and we do not do imports.

From what I can gather, U.K. beekeepers (mainly) seem to have two types; The native dark Apis mellifera mellifera and the italian Apis mellifera ligustica.

If I'm wong, I'm sure I will be corrected shortly, so no harm.

Main points:

Apis mellifera mellifera (native);
Slower breeder.
Overwinters well on few stores.
Long lived.
Hardy working.
Strong wings to forage further.
Work longer hours.
Produces best comb and cappings.

Apis mellifera ligustica;
Very gentle.
Produces more honey.
Longer probiscus, giving more forage options.
Not prone to excessive swarming.

Hope this helps.

I'm irish in Ireland and we do not do imports.

From what I can gather, U.K. beekeepers (mainly) seem to have two types; The native dark Apis mellifera mellifera and the italian Apis mellifera ligustica.

If I'm wong, I'm sure I will be corrected shortly, so no harm.

Carnolians spring immediately to mind and Buckfast (variants)

To be honest , the experts are confused :) even after resorting to the new fangled DNA testing :)
There are distinct types, displaying differing characteristics but here in the UK the edges are blurred by cross breeding as most matings are open matings , If lucky you may maintain a STRAINto suit you but not for long .
Vigilance must be the by-word and any unsuitable Queens changed asap !

John Wilkinson

I am currently working in Nice in the south of France for a couple of days and our office is surrounded by huge lavenders in full bloom which are crawling with honey bees. On close inspection they look exactly the same colour and size and are undistinguishable from the ones in my hive at home in Surrey. The surprising aspect is the very small number of bumble bees working the lavender compared to home.

Latest posts

Back