When?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Over the last few weeks several people have asked, " when do I do this or that?"
Beekeeping is not done by the calendar. Our weather varies week to week, and what is right for the south of the country will not be right for the north.
My best answer would be to do something when the bees tell me to do it. For example if the bees are low on space or stores, give them some more.
Yes, I have rough plans of the direction I want to go with my bees this year, but how I achieve that will be dictated by what the bees are telling me on each inspection.
Learn to read your bees. Yes it will take some experience, but that is soon gained if you are observant at each inspection, and think things through, before you act.

Good advice, I haven’t lifted the crown board on any of my hives since late September and don’t intend to any time soon. I have added fondant above the CB and done lots of observing the bee activity coming and going along with inspection board debris

I've certainly posted a couple of 'when' posts recently, but I guess I may have misused the word if readers are taking it to mean that I want to know a calendar date.

For me, 'when' is short-hand for 'what indicators do I look for to determine that it's the right time to do x' or, if you like, 'how do I know when to do x'.

For example, I asked when to move a nuc up to a full brood; someone advised to do it when it filled a certain number of frames of brood and that was exactly what I was after, not a date, just a guidance.

I'll try to be more specific with my posting in future, to avoid this confusion.

You also have to be aware that some beginners don't have the luxury of a real-life mentor,nor have any past experience or conditions to use as a comparison is
For example,with stores levels- you might reply "is the hive heavy?"
The OP will have no idea what 'heavy' feels like.

I know it's possibly ironic asking in this thread given it's about there being no specific "when" to do something - but could anyone advise when is a good time to starts feeding syrup in SW England? I read "a few weeks before the nectar flow starts", not entirely sure when that is either?

I am but a humble newbie (started April 2018)!

I don't feed syrup at all in the spring. You are asking for trouble by putting sugar in your spring crop!

Really enrico? Sorry but if fed properly that is just not so.

PH

This is not to start a debate or any arguments but what is feeding properly.... interested in how this is done to improve build up colony but not to get syrup in as you say spring crop.....

Absolutely if he is given the right advice.

How to feed in Spring? Feed in small quantities with one to one syrup. That is to spell it out a kilo per litre. Feed a litre or so at a time and I only give them this once a week.

When I am doing this, I am also bruising stores to help them expand. Do not even think of supering whilst feeding. That comes later at 8 frames of brood.

PH

Absolutely if he is given the right advice.

How to feed in Spring? Feed in small quantities with one to one syrup. That is to spell it out a kilo per litre. Feed a litre or so at a time and I only give them this once a week.

When I am doing this, I am also bruising stores to help them expand. Do not even think of supering whilst feeding. That comes later at 8 frames of brood.

PH

Thanks PH.... when you say bruising, that I take it you open up capped honey near the centre of the hive near the brood?? Do they then move it or eat it???

Sorry for newbee questions, learning all the time.

Keep posting when and if folks..we all have to start somewhere and even with common sense somethings can be awkward to get your head around..even more so if you are going it alone with no association to ask..
I have done it alone all the way and get along ok.. by asking questions on the forum and endless reading..do NOT be put of asking questions newbies or you may fail..
You should get a rough idea after your second season..but with beekeeping the questions that need asking could be endless..even long term beeks have to ask the odd question now and again... so just keep firing away with Question..
That is what the beginners page is for or have i got it wrong..:spy:

My experience is they eat it.

Say there are a couple of empty combs. After bruising if they were moving it that is where one would think it would end up but no they stay empty and the brood area increases so its consumed as far as I can tell.

PH

Thanks PH.... when you say bruising, that I take it you open up capped honey near the centre of the hive near the brood?? Do they then move it or eat it???

Sorry for newbee questions, learning all the time.

Don't appoligise just keep firing away and you will learn more..

Poly Hive;661660 When I am doing this said:
So when to open up in this weather to look? Its February! But it feels like April.

I "feel" like I want to super but I also feel like I don't want to disturb them yet. If I apply the latter then I cannot see the 8 frames....

Anyone any tips about "thinking about swarm control" with it being late Feb and mild weather....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ok lets settle down and put the thinking cpas on to pass the time.

Yes it's tempting and frustrating but as Pete said it's another 6 weeks before we are out of winter.

My forecast for this area is warm today then slowly cooling away again... so... do we disturb our charges. NO.

If your hands are itching that much either sit on them or scratch your arse.

All those bees you have been looking at are dead bees walking. They all have to die and the young ones, the first "summer bees" have to hatch. The critical cross over point is weeks away yet.

Supering? Dinna be daft. I super on 8 frames of brood and sometimes I leave it a further week if they look to be struggling to cover that amount of brood, and I (here) expect to get to that point in May.

It's lovely to see them working on the early flowers but we are still in Winter . Look but dinna touch lest you live to regret. You have a responsibility, and right now its to keep you hands off.

PH

Ok lets settle down and put the thinking cpas on to pass the time.

Yes it's tempting and frustrating but as Pete said it's another 6 weeks before we are out of winter.

My forecast for this area is warm today then slowly cooling away again... so... do we disturb our charges. NO.

If your hands are itching that much either sit on them or scratch your arse.

All those bees you have been looking at are dead bees walking. They all have to die and the young ones, the first "summer bees" have to hatch. The critical cross over point is weeks away yet.

Supering? Dinna be daft. I super on 8 frames of brood and sometimes I leave it a further week if they look to be struggling to cover that amount of brood, and I (here) expect to get to that point in May.

It's lovely to see them working on the early flowers but we are still in Winter . Look but dinna touch lest you live to regret. You have a responsibility, and right now its to keep you hands off.

PH
:iagree: with you pH, I had s few folk yesterday at our AGM the same itchy hands ,
When it comes to supering I had to put one on in April here in South Shropshire and there was only 6 frames of brood my reason's , a really strong willow honey flow . I think you have to read the bee's. Local forage and what's going on in the hives.
Swarm control to the op there's lots of methods , what equipment you have or want to get , what are your plans for the season?
Sorry for johhny...

Last edited:
So when to open up in this weather to look? Its February! But it feels like April.

I "feel" like I want to super but I also feel like I don't want to disturb them yet. If I apply the latter then I cannot see the 8 frames....

Anyone any tips about "thinking about swarm control" with it being late Feb and mild weather....

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Hi Jonny,
Your priority at the moment should be to ensure that they have enough stores. Mine are brooding two weeks earlier than normal and the stores go very quickly then. I don't super until mid April usually (waiting for reasonably warm nights), but it may be a bit earlier this year if this weather continues. At that stage my hives will be clear of all syrup feed. The main cause of early spring swarming is that people cannot be bothered to remove excess syrup stores. I freeze my syrup stores for swarm control (make up nucs with old Q), but usually I don't have any. I am giving you my guidelines as I am not a million miles away. Good luck for the coming season.

Latest posts

Back