When will there be a harvest for the world

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi RAB, yes to the U-turn! a flow seems to have started nr one of my out-apiaries ( prob jap Knotweed / HB).
the other 3 hives will be getting the apiguard this weekend
As I've often said, the main flow at these latitudes commences last week in June to the first week July; lately it is commencing towards the end of that window!
The dilemma is when to remove the supers in order to apply thymol based treatments . Limiting the room by not adding more supers to encourage the capping of the full ones can induce swarming . Delaying super removal until the main flow is over may see a drop in temperature sufficient to drastically reduce the efficacy of said treatment, Also these Indian summers prolong brood rearing which again reduces the efficacy !
I'm not sure if thymol volatiles penetrate brood cappings anyway!.

I try not to feed my bees but do of course should they be too light for the commencement of Winter.

Oh! for the pre -1998 days, before the advent of Varroa :)

VM

Very ture VM.
The main problem here in Mid-Wales at this altitude is that there is very little time between the end of the main flow and the onset of winter. It is always a massive rush to get Apiguard and feeding done in between.

I've extracted 2 supers mid July (46lbs) and got 2 more off and another on the way so very pleased as this is my first year. I'm also an urban beek to whoever asked.

I thought that varroa arrived in the UK around 1992, 10 years later than in France?

Anyway, looking a bit iffy here but should be taking the summer yield in a couple of weeks time, that should leave the bees with some late sunflower and ivy to take them through the winter weather permitting. I'll take my chances as usual, no feeding and no treatments to worry about.

Chris

yes first arrived in 92 in Devon I think however many areas didn't see it until much laters, must have been 2005 era for me .

yes first arrived in 92 in Devon I think however many areas didn't see it until much laters, must have been 2005 era for me .
1998 for me , that's detected of course, could have been in my hives earlier .
A teaching apiary in Torbay was where the first detected varroa was found in 1992 :)

VM

Thanks for your comment Kate. I got 47lb from my 1st 2 supers and hope to get similar from the 3 I hope to extract tomorrow as they are not quite so full.
Think I will start a thread about this.

Latest posts

Back