When to take super off bottom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you actually need to leave it on?
In answer to the question…….if on your spring inspection they require space reverse it. If they don’t need space remove it, it’ll depend on colony size and weather!

But be careful. Check there is not half the cluster in it before you split them! If you gently break the seal and lift one side of the brood box and have a look between the two boxes and you can see no bees then you can gently lift the brood box and remove the super. Also remember that the super wil be stuck to the floor and any entrance reducer so it is a good idea to put the brood box on an eke while you take the super away if you are on your own! Experience of mistakes makes me mention these things!!!! 😁 good time to put a nice clean floor down too

April for me. But I run Langstroth jumbos so ZERO chance of half a cluster is nadired super.
Unless of course I manage to acquire a superbee.

Of course if you run nationals and live in the balmier warmer parts of the UK blessed by the Gulf Stream /and /or proximity to France then check carefully as you are using an inadequately sized hive.:) Or a wimpy Queen

If you need to take your super off your bottom I think you need to be a bit more careful where you sit down for a rest in the apiary. I suppose you can prise it off with a hive tool!!

April for me. But I run Langstroth jumbos so ZERO chance of half a cluster is nadired super.
Unless of course I manage to acquire a superbee.

Of course if you run nationals and live in the balmier warmer parts of the UK blessed by the Gulf Stream /and /or proximity to France then check carefully as you are using an inadequately sized hive.:) Or a wimpy Queen
Not true, if they have not eaten all the stores in the Langstroth because they only needed the stores from the nadired super then the cluster will not be fully in the brood box

remove it at the end of February/beginning of March on a day the bees are freely flying - never encountered one yet with part of the cluster in the lower box

Last edited:
remove it at the end of February/beginning of March on a day the bees are freely flying - never encountered one yet w2ith part of the cluster in the lower box
The trouble is inexperienced beekeeprs tend to nadir a super just in case. The bees don't really need it and therefore they haven't cleared enough room in the brood to move up fully. just trying to be helpful. It does happen so it is worth checking for, that's all I am saying!

Ok so next year I will jut go brood i’ve had a quick peek Pride open with a hive tool and I was lots of bees so just left it

Ok so next year I will jut go brood i’ve had a quick peek Pride open with a hive tool and I was lots of bees so just left it
Patience, everyone will be keen to get going but that’s a way off yet. Go in too early & you’ll do more harm than good. Don’t be put off under supering over winter, I’d rather have the issue of bees in both boxes than no bees at all. With a bit of experience we all get the hang of it & make our own way(y)

Latest posts

Back