When should you worry about dysentery/Nosema?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivor Kemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having firmly made a deal with myself that this winter I would not spend one moment worrying about my bees, I settled down to read the January edition of BeeCraft and read Bridget Beattie's first contribution which mentions 'little brown marks' around the hive entrance in winter being a sign of dysentery or Nosema or some 'other disorder' and to seek advice from an experienced beekeeper if you have 'some' on the woodwork of the hive.

Although not extensive, I have a few yellow marks which have appeared since the snow thawed around the entrance, on top of the hive and a few on the sides.

What she doesn't go onto say is:

1. How extensive do these marks have to be to constitute a worry and what can be considered normal?
2. What should one do if there are enough to be of concern?

Any advice gratefully received thanks.

Well put yourself in the bees position. After 3 weeks of not being able to go out for a dump when you do eventually get to go I dont think you would be too fussy where/when lol. So after prolonged periods of confinement the bees tend to go as soon as they leave the hive. The time to worry is when you get signs of dysentry when the weather is good, and they have not been kept in.

That is a good way of looking at it and will crack me up for the rest of the night.

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

When should you worry?

Well all the time I say.. the two together is a major problem....

Busy Bee

Thanks Nonstandard.

It's nowhere near like the image.

Think Craig's interpretation is a good one and I'll go back to my relaxed state!

Happy New Year!

Latest posts

Back