Whats this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffiths

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
been in the hive today, found what looked like queen cells to me, 6 or 7 of them, so I scraped them out with the hive tool a bit of white goo came out of them.

One of the brood frames had these funny looking white cells in the corner, any idea what it could be?

Screenshot_20200812-114743_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20200812-114836_WhatsApp.jpg

Attachments

• 20200812_112019.jpg
    20200812_112019.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
The queen cells are queen cells and your hive will swarm unless you take some action. The white goo is royal jelly! The white cells are capped stores of honey!

Good to know those white cells are OK.

Are all those yellowy brown cells all queen cells ??

The 6 or 7 I could definitely see were queen cells I killed (there were sticking out quite a bit)

The 6 or 7 I could definitely see were queen cells I killed (there were sticking out quite a bit)
did you see the queen? - never tear down every Queen cell until you know exactly what is happening/has happened

Didn't see the queen but they are laying in the middle of the frames so i think that means the queens in there ??

The queen cells are queen cells and your hive will swarm unless you take some action. The white goo is royal jelly! The white cells are capped stores of honey!

So the ones that had white goo come out of them were queen cells

All of the flat biscuit colored capped cells are worker brood. Domed biscuit coloured capped cells are drone brood. Queen cups and queen cells hang down vertically. It's just a cup (which bees always like making) whilst it's empty but as soon as it has the 'white goo' aka royal jelly in it it becomes as charged queen cell and the bees are telling you very loudly that you need to do something before they swarm.
I'd recommend getting and reading a good beginner's beekeeping book ASAP!

All of the flat biscuit colored capped cells are worker brood. Domed biscuit coloured capped cells are drone brood. Queen cups and queen cells hang down vertically. It's just a cup (which bees always like making) whilst it's empty but as soon as it has the 'white goo' aka royal jelly in it it becomes as charged queen cell and the bees are telling you very loudly that you need to do something before they swarm.
I'd recommend getting and reading a good beginner's beekeeping book ASAP!

The last owner had taken a super full of honey just before we moved them to our house. Leaving a hive full of bees and only one super. People on here said they were too packed in and recommended adding another super which we did.

Wonder if being crammed in like for a week caused them to queen ??

We've got a couple of good books but there's nothing like advice from experienced keepers

So the ones that had white goo come out of them were queen cells
Only if they looked like queen cells. Google it to see the difference. They could have been drone cells and the goo was the immature bee or larvae. God I wish you were closer so I could help!
E

Only if they looked like queen cells. Google it to see the difference. They could have been drone cells and the goo was the immature bee or larvae. God I wish you were closer so I could help!
E

Hi enrico no worries really appreciate the help on here :giggle:

Found this picture online , thats what they looked like, maybe a little bigger

ezbvcoqh9bs21.jpg

Wonder if being crammed in like for a week caused them to queen ??

We've got a couple of good books but there's nothing like advice from experienced keepers
Being short of space can lead to them wanting to swarm but to be honest it's what they're naturally built to do and so all we can do is try to reduce their reasons for swarming and if they're set on it ( which they usually are), deal with it by letting them swarm 'artificially'.

Most decent books and websites online should have good pictures of a typical brood frame/queen cell etc. They're worth studying.

Queen cells. If they were fully capped and you still had eggs they may be ready to change her for a new one but it is still not to late for a swarm. Do you have the gear ready to do an artificial swarm and do you know how to do onel
E

I’ve popped over to have a look at a couple of apiaries near me where folk had posted a problem on the forum. Maybe put up a thread asking for help? Somebody might be near you.

Queen cells. If they were fully capped and you still had eggs they may be ready to change her for a new one
E
Or she may have already gone - queens lay up to the point of the swarm leaving. Bit like SWMBO 'nobody told her they were ready to go'

I've got a local bee man coming over today! I'll update on here once he's been

Thank you everyone!!

get a mentor ASAP! I cannot reccommend going on a beginners course highly enough.... hopefully your local association will be able to run one soon.

Back