What's the best time of year to start a colony?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I feel like I've come here to start planning my colony at the wrong time of year. I guess there's plenty to learn in the meantime. When would you experts say is the best time of year to open up?

late sring would be the best time to start.
In the meantime gain some knowledge, get a few decent books, join your local beekeeping association and enrol on their beginner's course.

I feel like I've come here to start planning my colony at the wrong time of year.

Not at all, you have the next 6-7 months to hear enough to put you off or give you a good view to starting up.
:welcome:
Only advice would be, read at least 3 books and view everything on youtube with the thought that those "blowing their own trumpet on the internet" probably know very little!

You have the time to decide what you want to start with, from a bought in overwintered-colony to a captured swarm? :ohthedrama:

I feel like I've come here to start planning my colony at the wrong time of year. I guess there's plenty to learn in the meantime.
No the timing is just right. We are all now starting to bed our colonies down for the winter and once all bedded down will not open them for several months. Over the winter you have time to read up about beekeeping. Enrol in your local BKA and go to their winter meetings. Late winter/early spring they are likely to run a beginners course, and after that may well give you a colony to get you started. You are then likely to have access to a mentor to help you through your first year. You can start planning the layout of your apiary, and later on, once you have found the hive type that is common in your BKA, if really still committed , can buy a flat pack in the winter sales and start making your hives and frames .
There is far more to beekeeping than bunging a few bees into a box. Well done. It is a fascinating hobby. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back