Whats the best Mini Nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Pete, I don't have to bother with my second rate ply box pics now LOL

But it gets tedious painting them, yo do not have to.

Have made 40 of these and have just finished painting the first 6. Cut up enough ply to start to make another 40 on Monday.
I need to thank pete for all of his advice and assistance in making them, although he made his out of cedar i had to use ply.
I have added a cut down milk carton to the feed area to make adding fondant or syrup easier.

Are those big vents blocked off in use ?

Are those big vents blocked off in use ?

They will be when i have fitted the parts for them. I left them off after realising that it would be easier to paint the boxes without them.

:iagree: about the well done.
It seems that this design nuc is becoming a forum standard, who's going to publish some design drawings ?

Publishing the drawings is not my call. That would be down to Pete as he is the one with the copyright. :)

I've made a Klindworther mating NUC, just for a bit of fun/ historical interest:

2mzcfvo.jpg

n4a7pv.jpg

And here's the prototype of a Kieler-style mating NUC I'll be making in serious numbers after testing:

se2v.jpg

5m9s9d.jpg

vyt9nb.jpg

25gqmaw.jpg

All holes 22mm (wine-cork size)

LJ

my apideas suffered badly from wax moth, hardly any in hives, is tis normal?

Not usually a problem during the season, but do not leave wax in them for winter, use new starter stripes this year

Missing pictures

Possibly due to server move, but i've lost all pics in this thread.

Any chance Pete or Kev could repost pics of 4-way box for overwintering and pic of floor for it? Mini nucs doing well but need to get my skates on and make some to house new queens over the winter. Thanks

Thinking of making a mating nuc/s.
Question for those that have made their own!
Did you trim the side lugs of the top bar? From hive makers photo it looks like he may have done?
Does it matter much which super frame you use as a starting point. Would sn4 or sn1s with spacers both be ok.
Hive maker seemed to have bee space on top, I assume it was top and bottom bee space maybe.
Did anyone ever have problems with brace comb in the feeder area, I was going to have something that could be used to seal it off if not in use as a feeder.
Many thanks in advance!
Dave

Like all mating Nucs the bees will build comb in the feeder if it is empty, usually means they need attention anyway, ie getting overcrowded, some put qx so that the queen cannot get into the feeder, my boxes have bee space all round but don't forget these are not for any more than getting queens mated, yes the lugs are cut off, I cut standard SN4 top bars in half and then re machined the cut end to accept side bars, the length of the lugs depends on the thickness timber and rebate, to create the right side bee space.

Thinking of making a mating nuc/s.
Question for those that have made their own!
Did you trim the side lugs of the top bar? From hive makers photo it looks like he may have done?
Does it matter much which super frame you use as a starting point. Would sn4 or sn1s with spacers both be ok.
Hive maker seemed to have bee space on top, I assume it was top and bottom bee space maybe.
Did anyone ever have problems with brace comb in the feeder area, I was going to have something that could be used to seal it off if not in use as a feeder.
Many thanks in advance!
Dave

The frames we use are specially made from new to fit the mating nucs, not an existing frame that has been trimmed, they have Hoffman side bars.

Yes you can modify national shallow frames, cut them in half to make two small frames from one, Hoffman spacing would be best.

Yes they have both top and bottom bee space, and a clear polycarbonate cover which goes on before the insulated roof.

Depends how strong they get with regards building comb in the feed compartment, to help prevent this we shake out a lot of bees during the course of a season to weaken them, and make up lots of three or four pound packages with shook bees from the mating nucs.

I have only recently realised that the Apidea floor is intended to be a means of uniting the mininuc with a bigger colony. :blush5:

For this, the Apidea needs to be positioned over newspaper covering a crownboard hole. Then you pull the floor forwards, almost but not completely out of its runners.

And I suspect that this might also be a good way of getting Apidea frames drawn before Q-mating use ...

Latest posts

Back