What's going on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't tend to build supersedure cells in clusters like that on bottom of comb . Looks to me like three incipient queen cells one of which is charged. The bees may well remove the larvae from the cell (they sometimes do at this time of year) but if the larvae develops and the cell capped I would put my money on the risk of a swarm so wing clipping or carrying out AS may be prudent. I take it that the colony has plenty of room ie hive has super(s) on. If not then if plenty of bees and brood then itshould be.

Last edited:
They don't tend to build supersedure cells in clusters like that on bottom of comb . Looks to me like three incipient queen cells one of which is charged. The bees may well remove the larvae from the cell (they sometimes do at this time of year) but if the larvae develops and the cell capped I would put my money on the risk of a swarm so wing clipping or carrying out AS may be prudent. I take it that the colony has plenty of room ie hive has super(s) on. If not then if plenty of bees and brood then itshould be.

Thanks. It was tight a few weeks back but 2 supers on since so plenty of room. Resident Queen is wing clipped (she's less than a year old) - should I do anything?

Latest posts

Back