What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few New Year’s Day flowers in my soggy garden. Less than previous years, but I think everything else has drowned.

Happy New Year everyone.
View attachment 38499

What a cheery sight. Wonderful to see. Today up here is the first day with sun and without serious wind for around a month, I cant get to the farm bees yet, the track will still be a river for a few more days.

Our Sarcococca (box family) has been flowering for a week. Grown for its strong scent detected 3-4m away. Said to attract bees but it is in complete shade and over by the end of Jan so no bees spotted. The pic shows both flowers and last season's berries.

Attachments

• 82DB036E-A4B9-40B9-AB18-A278CA559362.jpeg
    82DB036E-A4B9-40B9-AB18-A278CA559362.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 9EF25228-89BF-4E59-8F1E-06A9BFE73CF4.jpeg
    9EF25228-89BF-4E59-8F1E-06A9BFE73CF4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Bees aren't going to benefit my crocuses coming into flower this early!!!!

Attachments

• IMG-20240105-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20240105-WA0000.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
You can have a tour of my one and only leatherwood, Elaine.....any time.
Glorious tree stuffed with blossom in August when no other tree blooms
That one's in our garden...I planted it a few years ago. I try to water it a bit every day unless it's rained well, as it will die otherwise. It's a fair way from where they like to grow (they like wet feet). I do appreciate it.

snowdrops out in both the back and front gardens, wild daffodils bouncing up but not open yet at the home apiary - I noticed that the wisterias, black and redcurrant bushes are pushing out new buds

Last edited:
Hellebores and primroses looking very cheery despite the freezing temperatures. It's in the minuses even at the coast.

Attachments

• IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    958.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 1
Hellebores and primroses looking very cheery despite the freezing temperatures. It's in the minuses even at the coast.
Primroses flowering here in early December, I have a purple/pink one in a wall and it always flowers early.

Primrose, Snowdrop and Crocus flowering nicely in a bit of twelve degree sunshine, anyone else notice it's no longer dark at 5 pm?
Currently trying to persuade a pair of Magpies in my Rowan to find another nest site.

Back