What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks a bit hour glass shaped, sounds like yours have found some.
Cool. I’ve not seen it before - this whole area is crisscrossed by a series of natural ditches & small watercourses (known locally as rifes) so surprised there didn’t seem to be any when I started beekeeping.

Lots of little white stripes at the hives, the Balsam seems to have spread further on the farm this year. I was waiting for my lift home having been dropped off and I noticed the same as you, bees on the last, late flowers and the fruit as well.
A lot of hb spread up here Steve more than I’ve seen it but still no stripy bees last year was the same no hb foraged even though its on there doorstep.
2021 we had stripy white bees .
Even over on the heather ( clee ) they were bringing hb back from the brook which is a mile away from them.

Yes, last year there was a small stand of the stuff near a lane. It's appeared behind one of the stands and at least two more stands have Balsam growing right in front of the hives, it's a nuisance.

Just checked the colonies to clear the last of the supers. Mine are piling in balsam nectar into the brood. Should tide them over til the Ivy kicks in. Better than sugar syrup any day.
Balsam here is in ditches and on the roadside. Looks rather pretty when most other flowers have gone.

Yes, last year there was a small stand of the stuff near a lane. It's appeared behind one of the stands and at least two more stands have Balsam growing right in front of the hives, it's a nuisance.
I wish there was balsam on the farm here 🤔

I wish there was balsam on the farm here 🤔
You don't. Honestly, I can't believe where it is popping up this year, nowhere near the patch that's been there for a few years. This year we have ripped it down in front of the stand under the Oak tree but there is more on the banking behind. two more stands have Balsam growing on the doorsteps, this area is normally Bramble and Buddleia.

Must check on Japanese Knotweed as it grows by a nearby stream. My Bees stopped going to Heather further away and choose the Knotweed instead. Honey was very good, similar in colour to Bell Heather. Anyone else with experience of the Knotweed? Incidentally, I still get a little Hog Weed too, which makes excellent sections, however you must like the taste, which is like the smell of the plant. I am aware both plants are invasive, although no flower is all bad when the Insects and Butterflies get so much pollen and nectar from them.

Here in Picardy the ivy flowers are still tightly budded. At long last, we will have a week of summer weather: in the fields by my apiary are buckwheat, late sunflowers and phacelia.

Bees are all over knotweed and ivy (where it started blooming). Some visiting HB judging by the small number of ghost bees in the hives. Interestingly, did not see many going for the HB this year, although plenty around. Oh yeah, and noticed a few dandelions as well...

Last edited:
Ivy out all over here in South Lincs. This must be the earliest I've seen it by about 4 weeks. Last of the supers coming off tomorrow so they will now not feeding hopefully

Still lots of plants in my garden for bees to collect pollen from. They’re all over the nasturtiums, though I’m in trouble as they are taking over hubbies veg beds. Picked these from my garden yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2564.jpeg
    IMG_2564.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2560.jpeg
    IMG_2560.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Still lots of plants in my garden for bees to collect pollen from. They’re all over the nasturtiums, though I’m in trouble as they are taking over hubbies veg beds. Picked these from my garden yesterday.
You cant see our sedum for bees but I guess that is because there is little else. The gora is good first thing in the morning before the sun drys the nectar

They’re all over the nasturtiums, though I’m in trouble as they are taking over hubbies veg beds.
I’m guilty too
I planted a few to distract the large whites from the brassicas. Certainly did that but ….
Never mind. I’ll have a good haul of the unripe seed pods to make “capers”

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back