What queen to get?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadders

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have 1 national hive (14x12). I live in NW London and keep them in an apiary with a large wall that gives protection from the wind and a nice suntrap.

Its always been healthy but very docile and underproductive bees. Most of the other beeks on the apiary get good crops, I get just enough to leave to the bees. I was considering re-queening this year.

Unfortunately my hand has been forced. The season has started slowly with very little brood. Yesterday on inspection I saw no new eggs (maybe my eyes), no queen (may have missed her but numbers are low so unlikely), 3 play cups (one charged), one sealed small queen cell (I presume a scrub cell rather than a planned supersedure) and no drones or drone brood.

It looks like my hand has been forced. It seems that it is too early for most of the bee suppliers to have mated queens but one well known breeder has a choice of Buckfast (cross mated), Italian or Caucasian.

What would you go for?

South of the river I would have gone for a local Italian, but then when I lived in Wallington I could not have afforded to requeen annually to keep the hybrid vigour.... many did!

Yeghes da

Back