What hive do I have?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim282

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Today's basic question. The hive I inherited which I thought was a national, may not be a national. I took the frames out with the aim to swap them into my better hive, but they do not fit.

The size of the frames are: 16.5 inches across the top and 12 inches deep. I've googled, but can't see this size.

Commercial hives seem to be 16 x 10. National seem to be 14 x 12. If this hive is to see the bees through winter I need to get some more frames made up for it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Today's basic question. The hive I inherited which I thought was a national, may not be a national. I took the frames out with the aim to swap them into my better hive, but they do not fit.

The size of the frames are: 16.5 inches across the top and 12 inches deep. I've googled, but can't see this size.

Commercial hives seem to be 16 x 10. National seem to be 14 x 12. If this hive is to see the bees through winter I need to get some more frames made up for it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Place a brood box of known dimension above your brood box and feed feed feed.

Overwinter in that configuration and they will end the winter in the upper brood box.

The lower one can then be discarded

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Amazing. Thanks both.

I feel as though I've bothered them enough over the past two days, so I'll give them a night off and then install my poly brood box and hope that feeding from me and foraging from them will do the job.

You will need a converter board that’s simply a piece of ply cut to the largest dimensions of both hives and cut a hole to the internal dimensions of boxes where they correspond.

Latest posts

Back