What happened here?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23516

New Bee
Reaction score
This is a tree which has had a large swarm in it for many years, went to it yesterday to find this, to get to it with ladders and chainsaws would have been a big job. No one at home now.

Is this legal? If not, worth reporting?

20230904_064133.jpg20230904_064206.jpg20230904_064217.jpg20230904_064231.jpg

Why should it be a problem to you? A tree with a void that big, revealed in a major branch would be more of a problem to anyone in a high wind than what appears to be a professionally/competent cut out. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tree undergoes further surgery based on safety assessment.

Why should it be a problem to you? A tree with a void that big, revealed in a major branch would be more of a problem to anyone in a high wind than what appears to be a professionally/competent cut out. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tree undergoes further surgery based on safety assessment.
Interfering with wild animals should be a problem to everyone.
Not an expert, but unlikely to be a danger considering distance from footpath in woodland.

Interfering with wild animals should be a problem to everyone.
Not an expert, but unlikely to be a danger considering distance from footpath in woodland.
Did you join this forum last night purely to moan about someone investigating insect activity in a tree and carrying out a professional standard cut out to assess the situation? The work involved would cost far more in set-up and execution than any colony of bees would be worth to a beekeeper although there just might be an academic interest in its genetics if it really had survived without intervention for a number of years.

This is a tree which has had a large swarm in it for many years, went to it yesterday to find this, to get to it with ladders and chainsaws would have been a big job. No one at home now.

Is this legal?
Perfectly legal (with the landowner's permission) and a sensible thing to do in many circumstances.
Looks like a proper, well thought out and professional job.

Nothing to see here - move along please

It would only be a problem if there was a TPO (Tree Preservation Order) on the tree, which as you report it's in the middle of woodland is unlikely unless there's a blanket order (not sure if that's possible) for the whole woodland.

It looks a good tidy job but they have just removed a rather substantial amount of strength of that section!……So not really a proper job at all😂 I’d guess there’s a good few ton of wood above the cut out and future water ingress and rot are likely to be speeded up.

I’d seriously wonder about anyone going to those lengths for a likely poor colony.

It would only be a problem if there was a TPO (Tree Preservation Order) on the tree, which as you report it's in the middle of woodland is unlikely unless there's a blanket order (not sure if that's possible) for the whole woodland.
Yes whole woodland can be covered.

One reason: if the tree is unsound and must come down, the arborists would want the nest removed first.
Possibly not I’ve seen about half a dozen they just drop the section. Unless they’re cutting right under it the bees aren’t bothered till they hit the ground, even then they are more stunned than angry. But I guess it depends on the tree surgeon.

Did you join this forum last night purely to moan about someone investigating insect activity in a tree and carrying out a professional standard cut out to assess the situation?
OP hasn't been back since midday Tuesday

Back