What do the bees do with Apiguard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our bees seem unfazed by it, we are in to the third week (second packet on each hive) of treatment, the first lot was untouched, just the fumes doing the work, with this second lot some of the bees have been taking it, all bees seem to be flying normally, in fact they have been out in force and no halt in the queens laying and no hanging out of the hive to get away from the fumes, it's as though the stuff isn't there.

One of our hives has become quite aggressive since we put Apiguard on (and it's the hive with greater varroa numbers). The other doesn't seem to have been affected.

Thanks for the feedback.

The aggression now seems to be just one or two bees. 99.9% are as tame as usual but one or two are very persistant when I'm near the hive.

On another tack - I had a quick look at the Apiguard (due to be replaced on Sunday) & the bees have built a huge ammount of brace comb, filling almost 25% of the area of the frames & up to the crown board - I'm using an Apiguard eke from Thornes-.

What's the best thing to do? Remove the brace comb? Or could I leave it there over winter. It's got a fair ammount of stores in it, all built up in the last week & they've ignored the last frame of foundation in the hive, so I don't want to leave them short of stores over the winter.

Latest posts

Back