What disinfectant should I use?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Peter, i suppose washing soda is pretty unoffensive. Just what I was looking for. :)

You've really no option other than use washing soda.
It's the only thing that removes propolis.

The only thing?

Despite using a very strong mix and hot water out of the tap It did a pretty poor job on a couple of porter escapes I soaked overnight a few weeks back, the water turned brown but I was still left with a large deposit of soft but still sticky propolis attached to the underside of the escapes.

I'll try some caustic soda next time.

The only thing?

Despite using a very strong mix and hot water out of the tap It did a pretty poor job on a couple of porter escapes I soaked overnight a few weeks back, the water turned brown but I was still left with a large deposit of soft but still sticky propolis attached to the underside of the escapes.

I'll try some caustic soda next time.

You have to scrub it as well.

Thanks everyone.....and thanks naked beekeeper, I had a look at that thread earlier, it was very useful. It was just as well because when we went to sort the suits out, they were damp. So the boiler room at school is a no go. I have brought them home, took the hoods offf and washed the main bit. Thanks lots :)

You have to scrub it as well.

Oh I did, with a scotchbrite pad...now I have a propolis encrusted scotchbrite pad soaking in washing soda.

Hardened propolis is no problem, the soft chewing gum like stuff appears to be resistant to most hive and bee friendly chemicals.

Oh I did, with a scotchbrite pad...now I have a propolis encrusted scotchbrite pad soaking in washing soda.

Hardened propolis is no problem, the soft chewing gum like stuff appears to be resistant to most hive and bee friendly chemicals.

Yes some of mine are near trees and they fill every gap they can with this soft stuff. My fingers stick together when inspecting. Disposable gloves are best for this.

Latest posts

Back