What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made 4 x clear 4mm acrylic crown boards with feeding holes - 2 for 14x12 Nationals and 2 for 14x12 nucs. God bless Dremel...

Made 4 x clear 4mm acrylic crown boards with feeding holes - 2 for 14x12 Nationals and 2 for 14x12 nucs. God bless Dremel...

As long as they're 18 1/8 square the frame depth is irrelevant !
The nucs however will be different !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love these. I actually put the entrance further back to make the OMF smaller

I've started adding a floor of old shed t & g and reducing the mess to less than a postcard in size.

I do like Millet's removable vapouriser block

Cut an old brood box in half and created two nucs and painted them. Made a twin UFE for them to stand on and a roof on top does the job.
All my UFE's have mesh reduced to a 10" x 9" so the offcuts came in very handy.

Happened upon some timber. Handy for making floors.

Question is, if it had to be one or the other (as this is the wood I have got) would you make a floor with a depth of 37mm or 18mm.

And your reasons please.

Made a floor with two entrances, this will help when setting up the cloak board method for queen rearing, a little bit of thought was needed. Whichever entrance is needed the other can be easily blocked off and held in place with two metal pins each side (galvanised nails)..

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 28
I bought some stuff in the sale, enough to make up two nationals with supers, for my first hives, and I was wondering if small splits and cracks should be filled, and if so what with? Is normal wood filler ok for bees?

They are cedar, should I be sanding and coating them? I was under the impression that cedar can be used as-is.

I wont be constructing mine for a few months yet, too much else to do, but now seems a good time to ask as everyone else is doing theirs!

I use Wickes wood filler - in a tube- for inside and outside use. It dries slowly but is flexible and appears to last years and years...

Made up a holder for sheets of wild comb from 2 frames.

My last one was easy to load. Not checked its progress yet.

image.jpg

Brought up-to-date 10 of my old crown boards with the porter escape / feeder holes. Added a 20mm shim to one side and slapped on a rhombus escape. All ready for the final clearing of 90 remaining supers .

Made solid floors for my 3 hives with underfloor entrances. Just need to find time to paint them now.
8cc7ca1a95810285be4b22f049e126c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice bit of wood work Colin but will that deep bottom bee space cause any problems with wild comb being drawn on the bottom of the frames.

Not Colin....sorry
Probably not.
I used to run Modern beekeeping hives and their floors were similarly deep.

Latest posts

Back