What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hived a swarm yesterday, heard the freaky sounds of queens piping from a hive on the way back to the house, kept a special watch on that one today, enjoyed their swarm during the six minutes of sunshine in Sussex at 2.30 pm, and had the great surprise of a swarm swooping down onto a weeping birch from seemingly nowhere at 4.00 pm!
Hived them a little later and noticed a red marked queen running up the ramp with the throng.
This brings up two questions: I was under the impression that colonies do not choose sites where there are quite a few colonies already in residence. Perhaps they did not mean to stay? Or they like the idea of competition,
And secondly, which year is red? They came from elsewhere as none of "my" queens are marked.

Interesting if this years Queen, either someone was very quick of the mark or something strange has occurred.

I find that swarms often choose to "home in" on where there are other colonies and will even set up home in a feral situation a couple of metres from an existing colony. I saw three feral colonies or "escapees" the other week in one roof and I know of other feral colonies in groups of three or four. Obviously a previously used location, hive or cavity is always an attraction.

Chris

Successfully collected my first ever swarm from a neighbours bush yesterday lunchtime.....hooray! Unfortunately it was from one of my own hives.....boo! Pretty sure I missed a queen cell on the one frame of brood I transferred over with queenie in my 'attempt' at an A/S swarm last week. Grrrr! Will learn and look harder next time!

Run out of kit

Run out of kit: The bees are adjusting to their temporary home ...
picture.php

There is a sheet of 25mm kingspan on the roof in there ... somewhere

Last edited:
Interesting if this years Queen, either someone was very quick of the mark or something strange has occurred.

I find that swarms often choose to "home in" on where there are other colonies and will even set up home in a feral situation a couple of metres from an existing colony. I saw three feral colonies or "escapees" the other week in one roof and I know of other feral colonies in groups of three or four. Obviously a previously used location, hive or cavity is always an attraction.

Chris

Thanks for these observations about feral swarms, Chris.
I am always a bit baffled to have swarms arriving from other people's places. I am curious about the red queen - she is beautiful, apart from the, well .... but at least she's intact.

A boat to get round your hives .... now that sounds idyllic.
I do the rounds of some of mine on horseback, which is also nice.

Expecting more swarms today, hopefully my own. Doing our best do counteract the bee "decline".

Heidi

Bit soon to have expected her to mate IMHO and virgins are notoriously elusive (especially in my neck of the woods :D) give her some peace to get her dancing shoes on.

You're right jbm,softly softly.... Virgins down here seem to have 90yr old eggs though.

Moved a nuc from my garden to a site. Did not have them munch through grass but put something on front of the entrance once opened. Seem to have some returners, but not that many.

Then went to other apiary and my Q- bees I united with another small colony were much better behaved despite the air being decidedly muggy and threatening storms.

Got stung. Doing what I never do which is wear jeans, as I always manage to catch a bee. I did, between the legs (high on the back of my thigh, thanks for asking) and of course three of four followed suit.

Bending over in my XL Bee Ware jacket (far too big compared to my XL Bee Ware suit – no comparison) allowed a few to go up inside and nearly got caught again but was saved from a sting not quite penetrating by a very old, thin T-shirt.

As covered in pheromone, I called it a day and will wash my jacket later.

Just hived another prime swarm. Very happy! It's number 11 in less than three weeks. Very fortunately, half of my village helps with swarm watching, and quite a few have become adept at handling them when I'm not around. Nice to live in a bee-loving place .... and counteract the so-called bee-decline, day by day.

It would be lovely if she was five years old.

Yes, wouldn't it be great to have a queen bee that has reached its once natural lifespan .... would make my day.

Managed, between torrential showers, to transfer the 2nd batch of day old larvae from "Queen mum colony" to "Cell raising colony" using the Jenter system. Weather forecast for the next week is poor so fingers crossed.

Popped the lid on the hive I moved today to see how they were getting on, started filling the two drawn frames but as of yet haven't touched the new foundation. Girls were very pingy, one managed to get into my glove and sting me. Think they are still a bit annoyed about the move.

Put the selgrove board in under the top brood chamber today!! Fingers crossed it'll work!!

M

Latest posts

Back