What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waved to my bees across my new lake!
There is a group of small industrial units behind my house - a converted 1950's factory (cyc arc) where some parts of the QE2 were manufactured. all the rainwater runoff goes through a drain which runs through my plot behind the garden. this has now blocked further down causing the cast iron manhole cover (buried under a foot of soil) to blow off and flood half the area,:eek: so now I've got a lake 30 feet by 20 separating me from three hives (luckily they're on 18 inch stands.:)
)Hopefull it will be sorted by tomorrow

Today i pleaded with my bees to take there winter feed down:hairpull::hairpull:

the end of January is a bit optimistic for Crocus in full Bloom..Kew Gardens crocuses did not flower until the first week of March last year and Kew is quite protected by the London Heat Sink micro climate...so they may have to a bit longer

Unite of the Q- cut out and the robbed out colony appears to have gone well. Used stores from the cut out so gives about 3.5 frames of stores so will have to keep close eye over winter and feed fondant as needed. Both appeared to be doomed but at least now there’s a god chance they will make it through. Robbed colony has built up two new frames of comb so hope there is still time for then to utilise it for stores.

he has got one, but its a tad bigger and has a deeper draft. :spy:

You sure you aint creating an island for select drone mating Emyr. :icon_204-2:

Pete D

:D thinking of digging a trench with a bank on one side - Offa's dyke would do :D

I thought you'd be too busy brushing up on your Japanese to trawl around here for a while Pete ! maybe you could convince your new employers about the feng shui benefits of beekeeping and get some free sugar off them.
SWMBO was incensed to hear we'd lost Branston to an overseas company until i told her your story of stirring back in the 'extra flavour' :D

Sayanarra pete!

Last edited:
SWMBO was incensed to hear we'd lost Branston to an overseas company until i told her your story of stirring back in the 'extra flavour' :D

Sayanarra pete![/QUOTE]

Its good stuff and I still eat it. Never goes off except if you let water in, similar to honey really ! :spy:

I am currently flat out making about 200t of canned soup a day cos apparently its getting cold and everybody stocks up......... bless em :hairpull:

As for sugar dont start me, we pay about 48p a kilo for granulated and the only reason I cant buy it from the company at cost (they agree its a good cause and would like to help !) is because there is no way of doing it in SAP which is the system we use at work for everything ! :rules:
Pete D

Wish it was Heidi, but its more like three months until the end of january.

Hope the crocus planting goes well, sounds like a good project.

Oh dear I can't count, three months is a long time to live on minimal stores, wish there was an alternative to fondant, I just don't trust the stuff, and have recently picked up somewhere that the PH balance changes as a result of lots of sugar .... but in this awful year one has hardly had a choice. I just wish I had started feeding in July or something, when they all started on the continent. Was too busy to prepare a conference, but really regret that now.

New Beekeepers, take note.

Oh dear I can't count, three months is a long time to live on minimal stores, wish there was an alternative to fondant, I just don't trust the stuff, and have recently picked up somewhere that the PH balance changes as a result of lots of sugar .... but in this awful year one has hardly had a choice. I just wish I had started feeding in July or something, when they all started on the continent. Was too busy to prepare a conference, but really regret that now.

New Beekeepers, take note.

They will be fine just have to use the fondant. Nicer hives by the way but a littie bit tree huggy for me. Reall nice though

They will be fine just have to use the fondant. Nicer hives by the way but a littie bit tree huggy for me. Reall nice though

Tree huggy? Not my style, either. I am in my first year with these hives, but the view you get when the bottom is taken off, is stunning. I just love to see a broodnest with no corners ... suspect that the bees like it, too. Looking forward to having a gigantic structure built where 7 or so can hang in a row, and you can get to them on secure steps from behind; the present solution is only for people with strong nerves, standing on a ladder and no quick get-away should trouble arise. Have you seen the youtube "revealing the sun hive". Not sure how to post it.
H.

Heidi why would you want cow **** on your hive. Is it a European thing. It could taint your honey.

I must admit I do like the hanging ones. So Heidi what is the history behind them.

Back