What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow just seen what happens when a lightning storm comes, ran out to get my washing in off the line and there was hundreds of bees heading back into the hive, lightning in the sky then a massive clap of thunder and the amount of bees coming in doubled out of no where. Is this normal?

Just harvested the remainder of my honey.

My daughter, who's come home for my birthday (Monday; not that I imagine anyone cares) said:

"Wow dad! Love that honey! What a lovely colour!
It's just the colour of an early morning wee."

Suddenly, it doesn't quite taste the same.

Dusty

Just harvested the remainder of my honey.

My daughter, who's come home for my birthday (Monday; not that I imagine anyone cares) said:
Dusty
Of course we care..............

Happy Birthday!!!

:party::party:
"Wow dad! Love that honey! What a lovely colour!
It's just the colour of an early morning wee."

Suddenly, it doesn't quite taste the same.

Dusty

Errrrrrr quite
:puke::puke:

my first year as a beek but iv seen this several times this year i was so amased i even made my brother come over just to wach its a verry impresive thing to see

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: happy birthday dusty :party: :party-smiley-050: :party-smiley-050: :music-smiley-026: :music-smiley-018: :party-smiley-050: :cheers2::grouphug: hope you have a good day full of smiles :seeya:

My daughter, who's come home for my birthday (Monday; not that I imagine anyone cares)

Helped put clearer boards on local Association apiary. Prior two years honey harvest have been 270 lbs (2010) and 300 odd (2011).

There were only two full supers so it looks like we will be lucky to see 30lbs this year.. Hardly surprising after the appalling so called "summer" we have had.

Most other local beekeepers are the same as am I..

Blimey village girl thats one party you have done there for dusty, can you organise my next one please?

Went to do an inspection and the bees were very unfriendly which I put down to a mixture of crushing a bee almost straight away and thunder forecast, so gave up.

As it is my associations weekend to start treatment I put the crown board with porter escapes under my sorry looking solitary half filled super. Will return tomorrow to remove and start treatment.

Sat watching the entrance for a while. Lots of whitish and orange pollen going in so I presume still lots of brood and laying. The bees have started propolising everything they can and drowns forcibly being dragged out. Reminded me of dragging a toddler to bed where they grab on to anything they can to slow down the inevitable. Also saw my first two wasps of the year. RIP wasps. Feels like autumn is on its way.

Birthday wises Dusty hope you have a great day.

:hurray::cheers2::):party::lurk5:bee-smillie:willy_nilly::party::grouphug::cheers2::hurray:

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: happy birthday dusty :party: :party-smiley-050: :party-smiley-050: :music-smiley-026: :music-smiley-018: :party-smiley-050: :cheers2::grouphug: hope you have a good day full of smiles :seeya:

Oh, you guys!!!

Thanks everybody. Reached that, "Will you still need me? Will you still feed me?"
age.

Glad I discovered beekeeping this year. Reckon I deseve a bit more slack to enjoy myself, but too bloody-minded to take to a bath-chair.

Dusty

brought hive home.been on some wild bird mix, lots of phacelia in mix should extract about 2 supers

:cheers2:

Happy Birthday (for Monday), Dusty!

What with a Bank Holiday weekend and a birthday, I'm sure you won't be wasting too much time hanging around your keyboard ... :)

Went to do an inspection and the bees were very unfriendly which I put down to a mixture of crushing a bee almost straight away and thunder forecast, so gave up.

Yup - that was one heck of a thunderstorm that came rololing down the Thames earlier on! (stuck in the Leigh anchorage at the moment on Olympic patrol)

Today I made some candles from of my bees wax. Tomorrow I intend to try to melt them back out of the moulds. I think I'll use silicone spray next time. :rolleyes:

Today I made some candles from of my bees wax. Tomorrow I intend to try to melt them back out of the moulds. I think I'll use silicone spray next time. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

sorry, but it's the sort of thing that would happen to me too

Do you use a bigger wick than usual? I tried beeswax candles, but they weren't great and guttered and burnt out so quickly. I then talked to a professional candle maker who said you need a larger wick - but didn't know how big?

Do you use a bigger wick than usual? I tried beeswax candles, but they weren't great and guttered and burnt out so quickly. I then talked to a professional candle maker who said you need a larger wick - but didn't know how big?

I had a look on Fleabay, one of the vendors had a chart showing sizes for different types of wax. Don't think I'll get to find how well this batch will burn. Never mind, you live and learn.

Finished extracting and jarring honey - 110lb in total this year, which I'm very happy with, even though it doesn't compare well with the BKA apiary or others in the area. Sold my first two jars - £4.50 for a 12oz jar and £3.50 for an 8oz jar. Had a bottle of wine to celebrate - happy days. Apiguard tomorrow.

Back