What are your bees foraging on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I am still compiling my list of plants that honey bees use according to the month.
I have also been researching the differences between the bumble bees' and honey bees mouth parts because some plants are used by both but others are only used by bumble bees. The seed distributors do not seem to acknowledge this difference and many modern plants have double flowers and no nectaries!

For January so far I have snowdrop, helleborus Niger (xmas rose),hazel catkins, and winter erica (heather).
bee-smillie
For February crocus and hazel and heather

Of course this depends on what part of the UK you are living in but if you have observed the bees out on a sunny day (we have had a few this week here in the south east) please let me know what they are working on if there is anything else other the above. :nature-smiley-014:
Thanks
Regards
Louise

My bees were working the Viburnum tinus this week, they were bringing in a white almost translucent pollen from it, oh and they were also working the Mahonia japonica too.

witch hazel I think it is - little yellow strands on bare branches

Pollen: Hazel (yellow). Crocus (orange) Willow just starting (also yellow).
Nectar: Butterbur only.
Propolis: Have seen bees ferreting about at the bottom of grass stems. Gum from new buds?

Thanks, yes I saw that one on Carol Klein's program, I can't grow it here, it likes acid soil!

Thanks, I need to look up butterbur as I have no idea what that looks like.

Thanks, I must check out the ones near me to see if they are using them

That is one I didn't plant last year, must do that this year. Thanks

Latest posts

Back