What a difference

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
What a difference a week or two can make. Two weeks ago, when we were having to time our inspections to avoid the rain, one colony was extremely nasty, boiling up when we inspected, and with half a dozen bees or more following us back to our cars. Two or three other hives also let us know they didn't like being inspected, although not to the same degree.

We made arrangements to move the angry lot but the bad weather and my bee buddy being poorly caused a delay. When I checked on them last week they seemed calmer, though I didn't do a full inspection. We decided to see what they were like this week.

On going to them yesterday they were as nice as pie, ignoring us as we went through the hive and just getting on with bringing the harvest in. The other grumpy colonies were the same.

Better weather, different forage, different gloves, who knows? But it shows that if possible an angry hive should be given a few days before an intervention.

Low stores, poor weather and not many chances of foraging can change a colonies mood, but it can also be a reminder that lurking in the background are some bad genes hiding.

Couldn't agree more, with some of the weather we have had, inspecting them would be down right cruel. Opening them up in cold, wind and rain, who can blame them being annoyed. Bees on the brink of starvation and knowing there is nothing coming in, I'll forgive them buzzing my veil.
Warm sunshine and nectar to collect and they are back to their wonderful best.
Assess your colonies in favourable conditions before deciding their fate.

I must be fortunate as all have been good even when not so good weather is about, though I tend to be a bit picky with the conditions to inspect. If I think I can miss an inspection I will and just make sure from my notes if they might need more space.
I have only been in to colonies 4 or 5 times this year and like most rely on knowing and reading the bees to indicate when to look next. Less disturbance and they are happier left to do their good work, though going by one mischievous interloper on the forum they will have been led us to believe that colonies should have been interfered with at least 20 - 30 times by now.

Assess your colonies in favourable conditions before deciding their fate.
Last week we had very high winds but I had to check three on the pub roof; felt I was going to get blown off, never mind the bees. Strange to say, they sat there and weren't bothered.

Source of original queens/nucs was four years ago, selected and raised by a capable local beekeeper but with clear Buckfast ingredients. They were healthy pussy-cats from the start and produce a lot of honey, so this week I'm starting to raise queens from them; lucky that this new weather is ideal for mating.

My current queens are all from a swarm collected in April 2019 so one expects a 2018 lady at least as she went straight in to lay, form day one they have been a delight to check. The old lady is till laying and is in a nuc, using a village location for the mating's as thus far all the off spring of the Q's have remained pretty much placid. In time this may change as the genes are diluted but for now still good.

Latest posts

Back