Wet or dry what's the difference?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultreen1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm prob answering my own question here but I just what some confirmation.

Storing wet supers: are theses frames that haven't been cleaned out by the bees?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum

Probably not the best idea to tack your question onto several existing threads.

What you have asked is a question that will provoke as many answers as there are beehive types, which is lots. There is clearly no one best type otherwise we would all be using it. Which type you choose comes down to individual needs and preferences.

I suggest you contact your local bee-keeping association and do a beginners course where you will get advice on this and many other things.

Good luck.

To the OP yes and the reason for storing wet is wax moth

PH

Oh!
Well I have 9 "dry" frames. I'll pop them in the freezer!
Thanks for the replies!

Oh!
Well I have 9 "dry" frames. I'll pop them in the freezer!
Thanks for the replies!

You could always apply some acetic acid to protect your dry frames. Do a search on the forum for 'acetic'.

I stored two supers wet and two cleaned up last year.
I must say that the bees were up into the wet ones super quick (sorry) this season.

I have always stored them wet I did think about putting them back on this year to let the bees clean them but then decided not to.

As for wax moth I have never had a problem before apart from one super when I mistakenly put HRH in the super and I had a super of brood I normally burn a sulphur strip in the autumn and early spring just in case BUT this year I have noticed wax moth now in my recently extracted frames, it may just be my frames but I would recommend people check your supers it just may be a bad year for wax moth or good if you are a wax moth.

Wet and slightly fermenting is what the bees just love to get up into.

PH

I too have experienced the dreaded moth in my supers for the first time this year. I usually store dry but after the comments above may rethink for the winter.

Latest posts

Back