Wet frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapdogsx5

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Newbie hear again,we have some wet frames from last year ,just been thinking should i have marked them so i would know which hive they came out of ? or will they be ok to go in any hive ?

Many thanks for being there it`s a great help .

Well you didn't so stop worrying. I never bother. Give my extracted frames back to hives, over crownboard, and store them dry after sulphur treatment. I now mark them with the year I first put them in, to help with frame rotation.

Newbie hear again,we have some wet frames from last year ,just been thinking should i have marked them so i would know which hive they came out of ? or will they be ok to go in any hive ?

Many thanks for being there it`s a great help .

If your apiary has an AFB hive, then marking frames makes sense.
It hinds the spreading of disease.

If your apiary has an AFB hive, then marking frames makes sense.

If you have AFB, in the UK you shouldn't be trying to keep any frames. The UK means of controlling AFB is that the colony and, at minimum, the brood frames are supposed to be destroyed.

If you've ever had EFB, as a hobby beek, you would probably try to minimise moving frames between hives.

If you have AFB, in the UK you shouldn't be trying to keep any frames. .

Itma, you mix things quite much

larvae must hang on air, if you do not use frames..

The reason in BIG WORLD to mark frames is to limit AFB. Mostly AFB sperad with conatminated honey when you move frames.

EFB can be cancelled when you change a queen to resistant stock, but that only in BIG WORLD.

Mostly AFB is hidden and spores can be found 2 years before a beekeeper see the first rotten brood.

And whatever the Br Law says, AFB can be cured when the bees have been shaken on foundations. Then combs are melted and the hiveparts are sterilized.
-

Last edited:
Hi Finman,
Thanks for pointing out that AFB spores can be found two years prior to the symptoms appearing! On that basis, anyone who wants to practice good beekeeping should not mix frames between hives and even less so between apiaries!

Hi Finman,
Thanks for pointing out that AFB spores can be found two years prior to the symptoms appearing! On that basis, anyone who wants to practice good beekeeping should not mix frames between hives and even less so between apiaries!
I guess that makes the majority of beekeepers bad.

Isn't it generally thought that after 2 years, frames would be replaced anyway?

Isn't it generally thought that after 2 years, frames would be replaced anyway?

Not that way.

A big hive has perhaps 5 boxes frames.
I use to renew 1,5 boxes frames each year.
One box will be old brood combs and much of combs will broken or rotten during winter.
Honey frames will be renewed slowly but they will breake much in extracting too.

But this has nothing to do with marking the frames.

Yes, older frames are worked out but if one hive is struggling, with bee numbers or stores, common practice would be to give them a frame of capped brood or stores from a strong colony.

And whatever the Br Law says, AFB can be cured when the bees have been shaken on foundations. Then combs are melted and the hiveparts are sterilized.
-

For the UK "newbee" asking the question, AFB is a notifiable disease in the UK. If suspected, you MUST call in the Inspector. If confirmed, the colony and brood frames (at minimum) will have to be destroyed.
Spread
The most common method of transmission from infected hive to healthy hive is the beekeeper. The spores can easily transferred, if frames of honey or brood are moved between hives, or if other contaminated equipment is used. However, robbing by adult bees of dead or dying infected colonies is also an important mode of transmission. If left to run its course, all colonies infected with AFB will eventually die from the disease.

Control
The control method for AFB is simple in the UK: all infected colonies are compulsorily destroyed. The first stage is to destroy the adult bees and brood combs by burning, then the hives and any appliances are sterilised by scorching with a blow lamp.
https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=159

See my previous post - don't move frames from hive to hive if you have ANY reason to suspect that there might be a health problem that you are moving.
Play safe.

Brood combs, after perhaps 3 years. But supers ... !

I seem to recall mention in the past 6 months or so of a RBI or SBI advocating super comb change at similar intervals to brood comb.

How effective is the treatment with 80% acetic acid? I treat all boxes with this before putting them into storage. I thought it killed nosema, chalkbrood and EFB and hoped it had some effect against AFB?

How effective is the treatment with 80% acetic acid? I treat all boxes with this before putting them into storage. I thought it killed nosema, chalkbrood and EFB and hoped it had some effect against AFB?

It has no effect on AFB.

Diseases are in the frames which are in hive. Acetic has no meaning in the frame store.

- Nosema makes its work in autumn in bees' gut. In spring it heals up itself.

- You get rid off chalkbrood when you find a bee strain which tolerate it.

- You get rid off EFB when you find a bee strain which tolerate it.

- Nosema depends on strain too. Some are sensitive than others. Good pollen nutrition in autumn is important against nosema.

Latest posts

Back