Weird looking queen cells - what are they doing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I must be getting withdrawal symptoms as I'm watching an Australian beekeeper doing inspections on YouTube.

What's happening here?

End of spring in Australia. A brood frame moved above the excluder 2 weeks previous to give them more space in brood nest. Still queen-right. Queen in bottom box under the excluder. They've produced QCs, capped them off and are now chewing the ends off. I thought if they wanted to destroy a cell they went in at the side.

. . . . Ben

AussieQC.jpg

And I thought my bees were "runny"! 😁
He doesn't exactly handle them gently even when he says he's going to, so that may be why.
Did he say he'd taken a split from this hive recently? I may have misheard, but maybe if so and he moved a brood frame up the bees on it experienced a big drop in brood and queen pheromones & so raised eqcs, perhaps now changing their minds.
Unless I was in a rush to make increase, knowing there was a Q and eggs in the lower chamber, and no QCs in the lower chamber, I'd have just taken down the QCs and checked in a few days.

If a rival Q destroys a QC my understanding is that she stings through the side & the bees finish it off - & we see that.
I'm not sure how they take down other QCs they no longer need.

As there are more than one of these QCs I'd have opened one to see how far the queen had developed. + 2 weeks since moving the frame I'm betting they were about to emerge.

As there are more than one of these QCs I'd have opened one to see how far the queen had developed. + 2 weeks since moving the frame I'm betting they were about to emerge.
I did wonder that, though they looked a bit scrappier than the thinned-out ripe cells I've seen.
If he did want increase moving the old Q away, pulling a few Q's and destroying the rest could have been a better option. Avoiding a swarm with the first to emerge.

Are the workers making it easy for the queens to emerge? . . . by chewing off the end of the cell.

Mine don't do that. Do they?
I was just going to say that they are supposed to according to the literature. I’ve never observed it. But then I don’t look in my bees all day. When I have seen queens about to emerge the end of the cell is thinner. It looks darker because you can see the cocoon underneath

Latest posts

Back