weights and measures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
Hi,
I recently bought a few hundred 370ml jars to use for my honey. I have been filling them to the neck just at the line where the screw top fits.

I was told that 370ml weighed 3/4 of a pound and was charging for that amount.
Tonight though I just put a jar of freshly creamed honey on the kitchen scales. They reported back that the jar weighed 1.5 lbs about 681 grams!

Are my scales right? Or are they dodgy?

Am I over filling?

Sam

370ml? are jars sold in volume? do you mean 340g/12oz jars?

1.5lbs is 640g

you are jumping from volume, to lbs to grams

you need scales that tare so you can measure the honey weight, this cant be that hard can it?

Last edited:
You will get about 500g of honey in a 370ml jar.

1.5 pounds is, as you say, 681g

Regards, RAB

Hi,
I recently bought a few hundred 370ml jars to use for my honey. I have been filling them to the neck just at the line where the screw top fits.

I was told that 370ml weighed 3/4 of a pound and was charging for that amount.
Tonight though I just put a jar of freshly creamed honey on the kitchen scales. They reported back that the jar weighed 1.5 lbs about 681 grams!

Are my scales right? Or are they dodgy?

Am I over filling?

Sam
So what weight is an empty jar with lid and label??

Honey is sold nett weight.
Ruaty

Last edited:
370 ml means 500 g honey. We use that size much.

honey's spesific weight is 1,4

370 * 1,4 = 520 about

no point worrying about gross weight if you don't know the weight of jar, lid and label.

just remember from autumn syrup making - 1kg sugar plus 1l water makes around 1.6litres of syrup which means 400ml syrup weighs about 500g.

Sam, if you don't already have one get some kitchen digital scales. Put the empty jar on the scales and then zero the scales, this is done by pressing the button again on mine. Then fill the jar to what you want by weight. I'm using 12oz jars so I put 340g in - but I also tend to overfill, not deliberately but if 345g or even 350g goes in I leave it. Theoretically you can be prosecuted for over-filling but I doubt this would happen for a few grams. You should probably check the scales with known weights if you want to be sure. If they are off by the odd gram it probably won't matter if you always put a few grams extra in each jar.

You can find lots of sites on the www which will convert weights between oz and grams if you need to but honey is usually sold in 8, 12 or 16oz which equates to 227g, 340g and 454g respectively. However, you can also sell it in round numbers of grams, e.g. 250g or 500g, but this is less common in the UK but it looks as if you are going to be selling in 500g, given the size of the ones you have bought. A problem you may have because of this size is if you want to sell your honey at say a local show alongside other beekeepers you may find everyone else is using pound jars and the price will be fixed around this. For example at the DBKA tent at the Devon County Show the only jars sold are 16oz ones. They won't accept any other sizes.

Last edited:
Theoretically you can be prosecuted for over-filling but I doubt this would happen for a few grams. You should probably check the scales with known weights if you want to be sure. If they are off by the odd gram it probably won't matter if you always put a few grams extra in each jar.
QUOTE]

Are you sure and if so quote me the regulation please? I am not going to weigh every jar and lid before I fill and for that reason I always overfill rather than the other way and to hell with TS on that basis.

'To H*ll with Trading Standards', eh?

They will be usually be helpful and acommodating - but far less likely so, if one takes that attitude toward them.

The weight of the contents must be on the label. It is not a minimum weight and the regs are clear about that.

RAB

I couldn't understand either why you could be prosecuted for over-filling but apparently the argument is by over-filling you might make your product more attractive than a competitors who has filled correctly. With other products over filling might also mean someone on a strict diet might end up taking too much of a particular foodstuff, ditto baby foods etc., over-fed babies equal over-fat adults later in life.

Latest posts

Back