Wax processing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been given a quantity of frames with wax. They are very dark and starting to break down. I have no intention of using these on my bees because of disease risk.

In the past (back into bees after some yrs) I have given my wax away to other beekeepers because I could not be bothered to melt it down.

My question is "A quick and easy way to process and what moulds should I use for part payment for foundation"
Mike

Mike, not an expert in this area, but I think there is no major trick to this aspect of beekeeping. Put old comb into a pot of water and once it starts boiling then it is "cooked", strain with a strainer into a bucket and leave settle and harden over night. You could leave the strainer in the pot for a while prior to straining just to let it be the same temp as what you are straining off, assists in wax not hardening on the strainer.
The first block of wax may have to be strained again - ladies tights are a good strainer - I'll leave the acquisition of these to your imagination (cannot enjoy this aspect of it!!). Once in a block why not have a crack as making your own foundation?

Never thought about making my own foundation, now that I have some time I shall give it a try. Thanks for the reply. I know my wife will not be happy at me dripping wax over the kitchen, so will have to use the camping stove in the shed!!

I use an old camping stove in the garage, and a large old saucepan that can never be used for anything else. Every time I process old combs I think that it's really not worth all the effort, mess and stench.

Old brood combs don't have much wax - much of the cell walls are actually larval silk and prop by the time they look 'black'.

A solar extractor is the simplest way to begin processing. However, this is a futile time of year for a solar wax extractor!

The classic primary processing method is to put the rough comb in an old pillowcase and weight it down in a deep tea urn (dedicated to wax!) As the water heats, wax is able to melt, pass through the cloth and float to the surface, whereas the crud is kept inside its cloth filter enclosure.

There isn't any standard presentation of wax traded in against foundation.
My suggestion is that you acquire a flexible silicone muffin/cupcake baking tray for a few quid. Its really simple to unmould the wax once it has set.

/// Electric heat is to be preferred to anything involving flames. Wax catches fire easily!

I have been given a quantity of frames with wax. ...

My question is "A quick and easy way to process and what moulds should I use for part payment for foundation"
Mike

The easiest way is to cut the comb from the frames and melt them as described. You'll be left with a lot of dross - but that's ok.

Or you can invest or make a steam wax processor (a steam wall stripper fitted to the hive roof) or a solar wax extractor. They're both sold by big bee equipment suppliers.

Your second question: it doesn't matter what shape of moulds you use to exchange for wax foundation - as long as the wax is nice and clean.

the dross is great as a soil improver. bung it on the compost heap and use as and when needed.

I use a strong plastic dustbin with a tight fitting lid then drill a hole in the top to take the hose of a wallpaper steamer and a hole in the bottom for the melted wax to run out. Put all the old frames inside and let the steamer run till its empty then your fames will be free of wax and just needing a scrub in a washing soda solution before reusing. I stand the dustbin on a low stool and use an old large mixing bowl to catch the wax & water that run out. Works for me.
J

The classic primary processing method is to put the rough comb in an old pillowcase and weight it down in a deep tea urn (dedicated to wax!) As the water heats, wax is able to melt, pass through the cloth and float to the surface, whereas the crud is kept inside its cloth filter enclosure.

A couple of points from Ron Brown on this
- he soaks the (thoroughly broken-up) black comb in water for at least 24 hours before boiling up. (This is supposed to prevent the silk 'wicking up' the wax.)
- and he squeezes the hot sack underwater to release more wax (which he doesn't try to remove until everything is cold, the next day).

Ron Brown talks about doing it in an oil drum, over a fire … well, he is (was) the expert.

//// And it shouldn't need saying (but I will), that the water mustn't be 'hard' otherwise you will make soap with some of your wax (soft scummy stuff). So use soft water, rain water, condensate from a dehumidifier, defrostings from the freezer, or whatever other source of not-hard water you can dream up.

I had a go at making a foundation press earlier this year, It was ok but took to long and too much mess. A foundation roller is the way to go but to be honest unless I increase to a sizeable amount I will continue to buy it

Latest posts

Back