Wax moth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbuck99

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
During my inspection on return from my holidays I found one of my hives completely empty no bees!
On lifting my frames brood and honey supers are covered in wax moth residue with live grubs.
I plan to freeze all frames and clean boxes.
Would you recommend treating all with blow torch and frames with Certan?
Have I answered my own questions or do I need to do anything else?
I would appreciate any advice please!
Thanks

Hi Starbuck,
Freezing kills all stages of wax moth 24hrs at -18C. If condition of the comb is bad I would torch frames and put new foundation in them and torch the hive as well for the new occupants. Certan does not kill wax moth eggs!

During my inspection on return from my holidays I found one of my hives completely empty no bees!
On lifting my frames brood and honey supers are covered in wax moth residue with live grubs.
I plan to freeze all frames and clean boxes.
Would you recommend treating all with blow torch and frames with Certan?
Have I answered my own questions or do I need to do anything else?
I would appreciate any advice please!
Thanks

Not sure blow torch will get right into any crevices and joints unles you are into deep carbonisation of the wood. Certan will nail any larvae hatching out of hard to get to eggs. It would have stopped the wax moth attack in its tracks if used preemptively regardless of the strength of the colony to defend itself.

All states of the greater wax moth are killed if the combs are held at a temperature of 115°F (46°C) for 80 minutes (or a temperature of 120°F (49°C) for 40 minutes).
A warming cabinet with a suitable thermostat can be used. The heat must be evenly distributed so a ventilating fan is a must
Combs should be in the normal, upright position.
Allow the combs to cool before taking them out of the heat cabinet
Only a suitable treatment for combs with little or no honey in them as wax softens with the rise in temperature allowing the comb to sag and distort under the weight of any honey

I kill a couple of wax moths nearly every night as they are sitting on the hives trying to find a way in. No problems in the hives to date as strong colonies can deal with this pest.

Back