Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have had a big problem with wasps in one hive, which has turned out to be queenless and weak.they were also quite aggressive. so decided to merge the weak with stronger hive with a good colony and queen, did all the right stuff , read the books saw the youtube vids just to make sure i did it all right. used the newspaper method between boxes.
and then left them to it.
shock horror now i have loads of dead bees out side hive.
what have i done wrong very very upset over this.
havei just murdered my bees.?????????????
That's what we unfortunately all do from time to time!
:hairpull:
Regards
Reiner

wasps :mad:

my bees have been being pested for ages now well i see a wasp there and i panic possbly but iv sean them geting in reacently bees dont seam to even try to stop them but i never see the wasp come back out ??????? is that good or bad i thougt bad...... but theres never loads there at most 2 genraly one 2 difrent types of wasp tho that i do no

my bees have been being pested for ages now well i see a wasp there and i panic possbly but iv sean them geting in reacently bees dont seam to even try to stop them but i never see the wasp come back out ??????? is that good or bad i thougt bad...... but theres never loads there at most 2 genraly one 2 difrent types of wasp tho that i do no

It is quite possible that these are queen wasps looking for a safe place to hibernate. We have encountered this on quite a few occasions were queen wasps hibernate within a hive, or more precisely the 'cold space nooks and crannies' within a hive. Interestingly they don't bother the bees and the bees seem to ignore them which is something that I've never got my head around.

It is quite possible that these are queen wasps looking for a safe place to hibernate. We have encountered this on quite a few occasions were queen wasps hibernate within a hive, or more precisely the 'cold space nooks and crannies' within a hive. Interestingly they don't bother the bees and the bees seem to ignore them which is something that I've never got my head around.

Really? I'd be interested in how many keepers have experienced overwintering "wasp queens" in their hives.

There are two factors here, one is that "wasp queens" aren't actually hibernating yet either here in France or in the UK and the other is that no functioning honey bee colony would accept them. I suspect kristin that you simply aren't seeing the wasp or wasps leave again.

Some species here are still taking "livestock", Germanica are particularly active.

Chris

Really? I'd be interested in how many keepers have experienced overwintering "wasp queens" in their hives.

There are two factors here, one is that "wasp queens" aren't actually hibernating yet either here in France or in the UK and the other is that no functioning honey bee colony would accept them. I suspect kristin that you simply aren't seeing the wasp or wasps leave again.

Some species here are still taking "livestock", Germanica are particularly active.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Last Christmas when I went to treat my colony with oxalic acid.
When I lifted the roof to take of the insulation, there was a Queen wasp sitting on the insulation .
Needless to say, my hive tool got her.
Don't know has anyone found one inside the hive body, but certainly under roof.
Sharon

Under the roof isn't the issue, see these paper wasps from one of my hive lids, they are still there happy as can be. It's the "inside the hive" notion that I have problems with, my bees would never tolerate that.

Chris

It's interesting Chris that you so readily compare where you are with the UK. Polistes wasps (as seen in your picture) are exceptionally rare in the UK because they aren't suited to our climate.

It's interesting Chris that you so readily compare where you are with the UK. Polistes wasps (as seen in your picture) are exceptionally rare in the UK because they aren't suited to our climate.

The point was if you read the thread that wasps in roofs isn't the same as wasps in the colony proper. which is where you say you frequently find Queen wasps. Something I have never encountered either here in France, Germany or the UK and never heard of this from any of the large number of keepers I have known or communicated with.

I made the simple point that.

There are two factors here, one is that "wasp queens" aren't actually hibernating yet either here in France or in the UK and the other is that no functioning honey bee colony would accept them.

As a side issue, I see no reason why vulgaris, germanica, or any other cavity nesting wasp shouldn't make a nest in a high chalet roof with a vent hole and not cause problems for the bee colony, they can certainly nest "right next door" along with the hornets without any issues.

Chris

I just watched a wasp dismember a bee at the entrance and fly off with the abdomen.
I presume for a quiet sugar snack in peace.......It's nearly November!!!!

I just watched a wasp dismember a bee at the entrance and fly off with the abdomen.
I presume for a quiet sugar snack in peace.......It's nearly November!!!!

Just watched one trying to kill a moth , moth was struggling so much. Tried to get a photo but too much movement. You can just make it out
ujyquga7.jpg

Still hunting and all over the place.
A hazel nut tree in my garden is covered in wasps whatever they get from the leaves

The point was if you read the thread that wasps in roofs isn't the same as wasps in the colony proper. which is where you say you frequently find Queen wasps. Something I have never encountered either here in France, Germany or the UK and never heard of this from any of the large number of keepers I have known or communicated with.

Just out of interest, how often do you open hives in winter to inspect them?

I made the simple point that.

There are two factors here, one is that "wasp queens" aren't actually hibernating yet either here in France or in the UK and the other is that no functioning honey bee colony would accept them.

There's nothing simple about wasps. When bee colonies huddle for warmth there are parts of the hive that are not occupied (the cold nooks and crannies that I specifically alluded to) that are easily accessible to queen wasps.

Personally I don't like the term 'hibernating' because it is used to describe quite a complex phase in a young mated queen's life. Mated queens go into 'isolation' quite early on (almost immediately after mating) and subsequently to 'sleep' (hibernation) as temperatures drop to below about 10°C in the shade. Parts of the UK are now approaching these temperatures so we are in fact starting to see 'queens' hibernate (proper) in the UK.

As a side issue, I see no reason why vulgaris, germanica, or any other cavity nesting wasp shouldn't make a nest in a high chalet roof with a vent hole and not cause problems for the bee colony, they can certainly nest "right next door" along with the hornets without any issues.

Chris

The only reason that I can see why this isn't commonly encountered is because of the territorial nature of vespine wasps (which is significantly different to polistine wasps).

I wonder is there anyone still having problems with wasps and their bee hives or nuc 's.
My bees are well defending ,but as still so many wasps around, I still have reduced entrance and glass pane in front.
Am wary about putting mouse guard on, with wasps still plentiful this late. I know they have to be put on soon ,so do I wait until wasps are gone, are the bees safe enough for now regarding mice getting in

Wasps seem fewer here though traps are still catching a few and my entrances are now at normal size. My MB poly hives don't need mouse traps and since I put my wooden hive on top of an under floor entrance a le JBM it doesn't either.
If you still have a lot of wasps leave your defences up. I think you're OK for mice at present.
Have a look at the underfloor entrance. I recommend it :)

Wasps seem fewer here though traps are still catching a few and my entrances are now at normal size. My MB poly hives don't need mouse traps and since I put my wooden hive on top of an under floor entrance a le JBM it doesn't either.
If you still have a lot of wasps leave your defences up. I think you're OK for mice at present.
Have a look at the underfloor entrance. I recommend it :)
Hi: I can never get an answer to this. Is a standard entrance block (entrance 100mm wide by 6mm tall in wood) adequate mouseproofing under a wooden box?

Last edited:
I can't say unequivocally but that's what I have had for two years and no mice

Actually my entrance runs the whole width of the floor and is set back about a quarter of the way back

Last edited:
Back