Wasps…will this work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hoping to help a very weak colony defend against wasps.

I just happened to have some conduit that is the perfect size for the entrance to my nuc. I’ve no idea if this will work though…will the bees find their way in ok, will it be adequate to dissuade the wasps, have I made it too long/short, is the diameter of the pipe too great (perhaps an inch)?

B934228E-13FD-463F-A148-ACD05AE767EA.jpeg

I did post this in another thread but think it may well get buried amongst other chat in there…

I'm sure Pargyle will shortly provide some words of wisdom - he uses a different type of conduit.

I just happened to have some conduit that is the perfect size for the entrance to my nuc. I’ve no idea if this will work though…will the bees find their way in ok, will it be adequate to dissuade the wasps, have I made it too long/short, is the diameter of the pipe too great (perhaps an inch)?

View attachment 33098

I did post this in another thread but think it may well get buried amongst other chat in there…
@enrico sorted this out for us a couple of years back
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/wasp-tunnel-mark-two.45362/

dont tremember the name but there is a bee that build entrances like this but she speed up when is to land unlikely our honey bees who in return flights slow down to land and may this ll slow down them further creating entrance overcrowding making it easier for wasps catch

View attachment 33098

Looks good to me!!

This worked for me. The tunnel went as far as the centre of the hive and was very defendable.

Attachments

• 0E36D937-E5BC-4A58-BC52-BEBD7FE295D2.jpeg
    0E36D937-E5BC-4A58-BC52-BEBD7FE295D2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I’ve bought some ducting so ready to go if I need it, but actually, having kept an eye on the nuc over the last couple of days it seems ok. Maybe they just needed to get used to the new entrance (and new box). There don’t seem to be wasps getting in anymore…I’ll keep a close eye on it though

I’ve bought some ducting so ready to go if I need it, but actually, having kept an eye on the nuc over the last couple of days it seems ok. Maybe they just needed to get used to the new entrance (and new box). There don’t seem to be wasps getting in anymore…I’ll keep a close eye on it though
I would make one up anyway. The beauty with the ducting is that you can slide it so that they use the normal entrance as they would anyway, but at the first sign of wasps you just close the main entrance so that they use the tunnel. You can keep it on all year if you want! Won't keep mice out though but you will know if they are in there because it will be chewed!😄

I've used both UPVC ducting (the square sort like Enrico) and tube tunnels .. both work to some extent but the smaller the entrance the better - if you are getting wasp attack something that only allows two bees to pass each other is more than big enough.

I found this type of entrance defender was the most succesful against wasps. Not that difficult to make.

https://www.kiwimana.co.nz/robbing-screen-wasp-and-robbing-honey-bees-afb/

I am intrigued to hear the conduit needs to go further in but makes sense. How long it is outside is not relevant as far as I can tell - I have seen observation hives at farm shows and such and they have a tube that goes from the hive to outside the tent so they can fly and forage while at the show - 5 ft long at least. The length you have should be fine.

I have seen observation hives at farm shows and such and they have a tube that goes from the hive to outside the tent so they can fly and forage while at the show
That's a new one on me, as at the most they are only there for a few days, or get taken home every night to refresh. can imagine some interesting scenes with bees allowed to fly freely

That's a new one on me, as at the most they are only there for a few days, or get taken home every night to refresh. can imagine some interesting scenes with bees allowed to fly freely
Seen it frequently, usually with a decent size hive and a glass side.

The Bath and West Show, held at Shepton Mallet usually has a large beekeeping tent with bees flying freely from hives as described by Kimberley. I found it amusing as there are warning signs outside the tent, placed near the bee exits, which don’t get noticed by the great British public (who only have eyes for their phones) and there’s lots of the inevitable weaving and dodging going on…

One of our association members has a four frame vertical observation hive and we've used it at our annual Bees & Honey weekend at Manor Farm (the farm used in the TV Series Wartime Farm). We had the entrance tube connected to the outside of an open sided shelter with screening mesh to stop them flying back inside the shelter.

Latest posts

Back