Wasp onslaught

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried something similar once and all that happened was that any forager that left the hive then couldn't work out how to get back in again.

Their gonna have to be expendable for now!at least until it's up to strength,they have a feeder inside and pollen patty to help .prob what's drawing the wasps however no stores in the comb. Itl have to do and hope I think .it does seem to have the wasps confused and noticed the odd bee heading down the hose

As already mentioned very few & no where near the problem of last year. The odd wasp appears to be killed by the bees. What I do and have noticed over the past years is that wasps love my cedar nationals and chew them in stripes, I presume to make their nests. Still not a problem this year, tho, no robbing and no wasp traps.
Maybe I shouldn’t said that!

The box arrangement on the front is acting like a kill zone ,the odd one making it down the hose is being confused when it enters the box then clobbered by the bees ,can see them desperately trying to squeeze out the mesh.Guess if I put the disk back on and reduce that entrance too,the traffic jam in the box will act as a good defence

Look at the thread on my post, someone has adapted an inhaler that should work a treat.

Perfect , so far though

They have:
A full frame of emerging brood donated from other colony
2/1 syrup
Ultrabee patty on top frames
I have put the entrance disc on with only half open to allow 2 bee space
I have then added that mesh box
To the side of that is a short length of garden hose
There are 4 wasp traps around the nuc all doing well (copied wasp bane design)

In order for a wasp to get in it has to go through a short piece of hose where it will likely meet bees,then enter the kill box where there will be bees queuing to get in ,then get through the 2 bee space in the disc entrance,then actually get to where it needs to in the hive.....cant be possible surely !

Wish I could upload the vid I took to show just how many there are ! File too big though!

that’s the end of the wasps ,powder injection mixed with foam ,just checked ,mountains of dead wasps outside their nest and plenty of freshly hatched bees orientating at the nuc , it might just make it
Did you bag up and remove the nest afterwards? Only badgers don't do well on pesticides.

Did you bag up and remove the nest afterwards? Only badgers don't do well on pesticides.

It was in the neighbours garden underground about 20 yards from my hive! Doubt a badger would come that close !still getting some wasps in the hive but think they may be stragglers,they get in but they dont get out again,they enter the mesh box and get clobbered by bees.

That flame thrower would put the wasps from coughing in church

Latest posts

Back