Wasp onslaught

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Had a wander down to my hive in the back field today with morning coffee , to my amazement wasps were freely moving in and out as if it were theirs .Got the gear on and yep confirmed hive bing hammered inside .Entrance reducer was on but wasn’t helping.In a last ditch attempt I have salvaged the queen and shook swarm the remaining bees into a small national nucleus. I have taken the old hive and frames away ,discarded the sealed brood frames (only 2). At the point I saw them wasps were all over the combs so I think it might have been the end for themif I hadn’t have acted quick.What would you guys have done ?Also any tips on finding wasps nests ? I was convinced they wouldn’t be a problem this year .

edit - the original equip was dadant so couldn’t transfer the frames accross

Horrible situation to find. With the utmost respect though, your cure sounds like it might be the last straw for them. Without new brood coming through I suspect they are doomed at this time of year. Could you not have reduced them to one bee entrance width, or even moved the whole hive and shut them in for a couple of days?

Horrible situation to find. With the utmost respect though, your cure sounds like it might be the last straw for them. Without new brood coming through I suspect they are doomed at this time of year. Could you not have reduced them to one bee entrance width, or even moved the whole hive and shut them in for a couple of days?

Could be , I was hoping doing it now at start of aug would give them time.I kept it in same place so wouldn’t lose a load more bees. There seemed to be say 2/3 frames of nurse bees on dadant frames so they may have a chance .I do have one last trick and that’s taking a frame of brood from my other national for them.I have shook them into drawn Combes anyway. We will see how time goes on but I can’t believe the amount of wasps I’m getting !

You could have deployed wasp traps earlier.

they are catching a lot but there’s still so many ! I think I must have killed easily double digit spring queens early this year but the place is still swamped .

Could be , I was hoping doing it now at start of aug would give them time.I kept it in same place so wouldn’t lose a load more bees. There seemed to be say 2/3 frames of nurse bees on dadant frames so they may have a chance .I do have one last trick and that’s taking a frame of brood from my other national for them.I have shook them into drawn Combes anyway. We will see how time goes on but I can’t believe the amount of wasps I’m getting !

I am also seeing a good deal of wasp activity, though not crazy levels yet. No hive defences breached yet as far as I have seen, but it's worrying to see.

As for traps, personally I don't use them. Don't like killing things and as your example shows, it's no guarantee that you won't have major problems with wasps - it may even make things worse (though I have no proof of this whatsoever).

they are catching a lot but there’s still so many ! I think I must have killed easily double digit spring queens early this year but the place is still swamped .
When I said "earlier", I didn't mean in the spring, rather last week.

I've wondered whether an entrance that included a narrow mesh tunnel within the hive would work - maybe allow the bees to detect and even sting the wasps through the mesh before the wasp can get out into the hive. Alternatively but similarly a layer of mesh 1 bee-space above the floor and extending halfway back into the hive with entrance below it.

Trouble is nurse bees don’t put up much of a defence!!

I’m being spooked by the lack of wasps so far this year. Last year they were a real issue.

Had a wander down to my hive in the back field today with morning coffee , to my amazement wasps were freely moving in and out as if it were theirs .Got the gear on and yep confirmed hive bing hammered inside .Entrance reducer was on but wasn’t helping.In a last ditch attempt I have salvaged the queen and shook swarm the remaining bees into a small national nucleus. I have taken the old hive and frames away ,discarded the sealed brood frames (only 2). At the point I saw them wasps were all over the combs so I think it might have been the end for themif I hadn’t have acted quick.What would you guys have done ?Also any tips on finding wasps nests ? I was convinced they wouldn’t be a problem this year .

edit - the original equip was dadant so couldn’t transfer the frames accross
It helps to watch which direction the wasps head off towards after loading up or when going home in the evening. Ground nests succumb to liberal dosing of doff into the entrance. Alternatively use a garden sprayer containing Ficam-W or it's replacement on the market Digrain C40 WP
Observe safe handling precautions for poisons of course.

Ok , had a check this morning , wasps still hammering it ,so last ditch attempt,closed the nuc up and moved it , cut a length of hose that extends about half way in , stuffed the end with grass.other side of nuc is open on ventilation slots on disc and there is a screened floor. I will place them in the shade.question , since water will be scarce do i feed with 1/1 or 2/1 to build back stores?

Attachments

• 9B5E030A-BF1E-4E04-B9DA-D65ED65F6A7C.jpeg
    9B5E030A-BF1E-4E04-B9DA-D65ED65F6A7C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
Maybe that this year might be a low wasp year, queens may not have survived the wet spring. Last year my wasp issues at one site didn't begin till late August.

Back