Wasp ipm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link doesn't work for me :/

Karol has put up some really useful stuff here
http://www.waspbane.com in the beekeeping section.

Thanks v much. Am just in process of getting the trusty Waspbane out of storage and renewing the bait box section. Not seen any wasps round the hives yet, but with supers filling up fast, it's only a matter of time. They won't get me this year!

The general consensus seems to be some kind of alcohol - lager, jam, and some dog or cat food, according to the wasp bane thread.

Please please if you do decide to go down this route then please spend a few minutes reading the beekeeping pages especially with regards to bee safety. Baiting up needs to be done carefully!

wasps

My trick is to use an old jam jar with a couple of holes pierced in lid with a screwdriver, half fill with water and a teaspoon of jam. Hang it up with string and wait for the wasps. Last year I filled 2 jars to the top with flies and wasps.

A 2 litre plastic lemonade bottle with the tapered top cut off, inverted and secured in the body of the bottle to act as an ingress funnel, hung from trees around the periphery of the apiary and half filled withthe cheapest cola you can find. Works a treat and when loaded with decaying wasps, catches hornets too.

Add a banana skin to catch wax moths as well.

Latest posts

Back