Warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just a thought.....

In being situated right on the South coast here in Penzance, in the last 48 hours we have been badly hit with extremely strong gales. Yesterday into last night the gales were hitting my hives head on. I had no worries they may get blown over as I have they usual straps over the roof and to the bench combined with the bench being strenuously tied down with wire to the ground.

Late this afternoon I thought I better open the roof to check my ekes and make sure the hives had enough fondant. I'm so glad that I did because with the eke on top of my crown board, there was quite a lot of water on the floor around the fondant.

The perimeter of the hole leading down to the hive appeared to be dry but the water was just an inch away from the rim.

I'm pretty certain no water ran down into the hive but I am so glad I decided to have a peep and found this. I'm certain with the recent direction of the gales that the rain was blown into the front vent cone on the front of the hive roof and direct into where the fondant is situated.

I've dried it all, but it made me wonder that this maybe a similar situation for many other hives/beekeepers? It maybe also be wise to check your hive space under the roof as soonest in case your hives are wet as well?

Regards

Olivia9801

Just a thought.....

In being situated right on the South coast here in Penzance, in the last 48 hours we have been badly hit with extremely strong gales. Regards

Olivia9801

I expect I'll be putting the roof back on my shed in the allotment then!

If it hits anywhere within 40 miles of London were all going to hear about it for months!:ohthedrama:

Just a thought.....

In being situated right on the South coast here in Penzance, in the last 48 hours we have been badly hit with extremely strong gales. Yesterday into last night the gales were hitting my hives head on. I had no worries they may get blown over as I have they usual straps over the roof and to the bench combined with the bench being strenuously tied down with wire to the ground.

Late this afternoon I thought I better open the roof to check my ekes and make sure the hives had enough fondant. I'm so glad that I did because with the eke on top of my crown board, there was quite a lot of water on the floor around the fondant.

The perimeter of the hole leading down to the hive appeared to be dry but the water was just an inch away from the rim.

I'm pretty certain no water ran down into the hive but I am so glad I decided to have a peep and found this. I'm certain with the recent direction of the gales that the rain was blown into the front vent cone on the front of the hive roof and direct into where the fondant is situated.

I've dried it all, but it made me wonder that this maybe a similar situation for many other hives/beekeepers? It maybe also be wise to check your hive space under the roof as soonest in case your hives are wet as well?

Regards

Olivia9801
What a lot of people do is take the battens out and fill the roof with Kingspan permanently. No vents to leak.

Latest posts

Back