Warming Cabinet Thermostat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
Hi, can anyone out there help me.

I (well my husband mostly!) am making a honey warming cabinet. Following a suggestion from another beekeeper, I bought a Danfoss ATC thermostat that my husband fitted. The thermostat is connected to a light bulb as the heat source.

It works in that it switches the light on and off, however it is not very sensitive. The temperature inside the cabinet is 25 degrees C but the light will not switch on until the thermostat is set to 42C (I am aware that the temp I'm aiming for is 32).

Has anyone any advice about how I can improve the design using a more reliable system for regulating the cabinet temperature.

Y
Hi, can anyone out there help me.

I (well my husband mostly!) am making a honey warming cabinet. Following a suggestion from another beekeeper, I bought a Danfoss ATC thermostat that my husband fitted. The thermostat is connected to a light bulb as the heat source.

It works in that it switches the light on and off, however it is not very sensitive. The temperature inside the cabinet is 25 degrees C but the light will not switch on until the thermostat is set to 42C (I am aware that the temp I'm aiming for is 32).

Has anyone any advice about how I can improve the design using a more reliable system for regulating the cabinet temperature.

Domestic thermostats aren't very sensitive and suffer hysteresis as you are finding. Throw it away and use a more suitable model such as an Stc1000 from eBay for around £7.50 (ensure you get the 220/240 volt version for UK mains use)

I have recently made a warming cabinet which works very well. I used the STC1000 as mentioned above. Regarding tempretur there is a good thread on the forum giving a list of a range of temps for warming honey. Sorry but my phone won't let me search forum for some reason but 50c seems to be top temp for OUR set honey.

Regarding your set up how have you got the Danfoss mounted. I believe it is a cylinder mounted thermostat and if so would need to be mounted to some kind of heat sink I think. Also how are you reading the temp. If you are able to give more information about your cabinet set up I'm sure someone on the forum will be able.to help. As I mentioned there are some helpful threads on the forum to search.

Last edited:
Just made one up. Old fridge, STC 1000 and tubular heater. Really impressed, controls temp to within 0.5 degrees. My old set up with a dimmer switch and light bulb was useless compared to this. The bits cost well under £20 from Amazon

Using incandescent bulbs is not the safe way in this century. Even using flourescents still leaves the problem of poorly insulated mains voltages , if not a burn hazard.

Use a properly designed heater is my advice. The control of the heater can be superb with the modern controllers, but the capacity (heat content) and temperature of the heater element are parameters to consider to get the best from any system.

For 10l buckets, the L*dl jam maker is ideal. Fast heat transfer (water to honey bucket rather than air to honey bucket) and adequate temperature control. Hardly worth the effort of making an alternative at their prices.

You will find that using a Room thermostat will provide very good control of the cabinet temperature at a very modest cost. This type of stat has a 1deg operating differential as apposed to the type you are using which may have as much as 6 / 10 deg switching differential and is why you are have the difficulty you describe.

The controllers as noted above are of course very good but a room stat will be very simple to install and work just as well.

have a word with your friendly local plumber he will probably have a box full of second hand ones that are still serviceable.

good luck with your project.

I n my warming cabinet I use a thermo control 2 thermostat they use them in aquariums very good they are

Just made one up. Old fridge, STC 1000 and tubular heater. Really impressed, controls temp to within 0.5 degrees.

:iagree:

Done the same - used two 60w tubular heaters just to get the temp up quicker and more stable and an STC 1000 - fridge from the tip and job done! mine is at the moment warming up my honey for the Royal Welsh Show

JBM. We like to take our time in the East. Enjoy the show. Last Saturday manned the bee tent at our local show. Very busy. Great fun.

JBM. We like to take our time in the East. Enjoy the show. Last Saturday manned the bee tent at our local show. Very busy. Great fun.

Stc 1000 with a propper heater is the best way. Very controllable and safe with a good heater element/greenhouse heater/tubular heater/flexi heating element on floor.

Stc 1000 with a propper heater is the best way. Very controllable and safe with a good heater element/greenhouse heater/tubular heater/flexi heating element on floor.
Thanks, looks like the STC 1000 is the way forward. What tubular heater do you recommend.

I have the same set up as Jenkinsbrynmair. I paid £16 each for the heaters from Toolstation.

Not too sure about the need for the heater at the top, JBM. Warm air rises, so bottom heat is better.

My old warmer was only about 45W, but it took some time to melt a 10l bucket of honey.

RAB

I wanted a quicker and constant heat build up and didn't want to put two in the bottom - all I know is it works - checked with thermometers top and bottom and constant heat throughout.

You forgot to mention the disco lights. Still can't put pics on myself Admin. Done everything you said still doesn't work.

For 10l buckets, the L*dl jam maker is ideal. Fast heat transfer (water to honey bucket rather than air to honey bucket) and adequate temperature control. Hardly worth the effort of making an alternative at their prices.

I have been mulling this over and it seems a great idea. What is the difference (apart from cost) between the L*dl jam maker and a Burco boiler?

Would there be any problem with steam/water getting into the honey bucket, or have I missed the point?

I have been mulling this over and it seems a great idea. What is the difference (apart from cost) between the L*dl jam maker and a Burco boiler?

Would there be any problem with steam/water getting into the honey bucket, or have I missed the point?

The idea is to heat the water to perhaps 45ºC and keep it there for a day or two. Not to boil it.
Hence there shouldn't be any question of steam.
Proper honey buckets have tight fitting (and overlapped) lids.
But you'd only be filling it so that the water came about ¾ of the way up the bucket - it shouldn't be submerged!

The Lidl product has its heater element under the tank, not in it. And it has a nice rack so that things (like buckets) aren't sitting directly on the heated floor of the tank. Recent versions have had a digital thermostat.
Most Burcos aren't quite like that …
Compared to the price that essentially identical products are sold for by others (Vigo - as an apple juice pasturiser, Kochstar - as a wax melter, etc) Lidl's offering is an absolute bargain.
Just don't try and make jam in it!
But if you want to add an even better thermostat (like for sous vide cooking, for example) the recent (digital thermostat) versions need more work than the old dumb version.

Latest posts

Back