Waggle dance - really?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbritishhoney

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

At the weekend I was doing a routine inspection on one of my hives. I took out a frame, laid it flat in the upturned hive roof, then wandered off for a minute to get something which I had misplaced.
When I returned, I swear one of the bees on the frame was doing the waggle dance. I watched it for a good 5 mins and it just kept on doing it.

The only reason I have posted about it is because in my 6 odd years of beekeeping it's the first time I've ever seen it. (Maybe I haven't been looking closely enough in the past!).
The thing I found strange was that it was taking place outside the hive amidst all the disruption of my inspection.
Wish I had have had the camera to hand.

Anyone else seen this happen?

Andy

Bees do it all the time. I am amazed you haven't seen it before. It tells where the nectar flow is as I am sure you know. I frequently see it on frames I lift out. Specsavers is a good place to start!!
e

Nah! Just tunnel vision!

In, remove frame, shake off bees, check the frame and replace. Move on to next frame.

Yes, I am surprised you haven't seen it before, but if you don't look for it.....you may not see it. Better to be looking for eggs, stores, and healthy brood than a waggle dance.

RAB

That's it - I've always had it drilled into me to just focus on the task in hand that I don't often take the time to just enjoy watching the bees.
Plus the aggression lately has made inspections a very quick process.

I shall make a resolution to be more observant.

I was watching bees do the 'waggle dance' on a swarm today!

I was watching bees do the 'waggle dance' on a swarm today!

I read a dance on the outside of a swarm was likely to be scout bees engaged in an election for the best next place.

All the best,
Sam

I started beekeeping this year. A few weeks in I saw five or six bees on one frame alone doing the dance. Was nice to watch.

Probably due to your post lodging something in my subconcious, during today's inspection I saw them waggle dancing all over the place - so much I almost missed the ten capped queen cells LOL! (God, can't believe i've used that phrase - i hate it:) ) but it was great to see something I've only read about until now - thanks, I'd have probably gone years without seeing one otherwise :cheers2:

Probably due to your post lodging something in my subconcious, during today's inspection I saw them waggle dancing all over the place - so much I almost missed the ten capped queen cells LOL! (God, can't believe i've used that phrase - i hate it:) ) but it was great to see something I've only read about until now - thanks, I'd have probably gone years without seeing one otherwise :cheers2:
When I was young you wrote 'lol' on the envelope of a letter to a girlfriend, meant 'lots of love ' also 'swalk' sealed with a loving kiss. What has happened to Romance?

You should normally find the "dancefloor" close to the hive entrance. Majority of my hives are warm way and they tend to be on the left hand side, towards the bottom, of the first frame, second side.

Latest posts

Back