Volume of 1:1 syrup to feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My strongest colony have taken a kilo of sugar amount of 1:1 syrup in 3 days - do I ration them to 1kg a week or keep topping it up?

My other strong colony has been far more conservative, about half the syrup gone so far.

The OSR 300 metres away is about 15-20cm tall at the moment, so I reckon 2nd week april onwards for flowering to start if the weather continues as it is.

Ration but monitor stores when you inspect. If no rationing then you'll have plenty of stores laid down in all available locations and no where for HM to lay and as a result a much & slower delayed spring build up. Your 1:1 is primarily stimulant not feed. A full Nat BB colony would be suitably stimulated by say 0.5Ltr / week. What she lays now will be what will be enjoying that OSR you speak of. R

I give a pint a week or rather less than half a frame feeder full.

Plus pollen of some sort.

PH

Mine have so much stores that I have diluted their spring stimulant even further. They are still taking it, which demonstrates to me that water is the main demand. Mine The ones I have checked) will certainly not starve before the OSR flow comes along.

Eggs now will be foragers in 6 weeks time. Need lots of foragers, for nectar collection to exceed larvae feeding by the time the OSR starts to bloom.

Regards, RAB

It suprises me how much water the bees in my obs hive use...4 frames. 2 x 2

Half a pint in less than 3 days.....

I put an entrance feeder near the outside hive filled with about 1 litre of water and that has gone in 4 days...

Latest posts

Back