Virgin queen body weight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
One of the metrics discussed in the Coloss BeeBook volume 1 is queen body weight (http://coloss.org/beebook/I/queen-rearing/2/4/1?searchterm=queen+weight). Has anyone out there weighed virgin queens and, if so, what did you find?

I just weighed the first 6 Carniolans to emerge from a batch of 31 in my incubator

Queen weight
52........0.21g
53........0.21g
54........0.24g
55........0.22g
56........0.28g
57........0.23g

I'd be interested to hear how these compare with other races

Would be interesting to know the virgin weight against a mated Queen weight.
Then see which Queens were more mated (if that,s the right term) by weight and plot their laying performance over time.

Would be interesting to know the virgin weight against a mated Queen weight.

As stated in the reference above, the queens body weight can vary enormously depending on a number of factors. That is why they recommend weighing immediately after emergence.
My scales only measured to 0.01 of a gram so they weren't really accurate enough to measure to 0.0001 of a gram.

My scales only measured to 0.01 of a gram so they weren't really accurate enough to measure to 0.0001 of a gram.

OK. Lesson learned:
I used a scale which only measured in 1/100g accuracy instead of the 1/10 microgram called for. As I gain more experience with weighing, I can see it isn't accurate enough. Also, if anyone else plans to do this, put the queen into something to weigh her. Don't allow her to walk freely over the scales. I thought this would be more accurate but its better if she is contained.

Latest posts

Back