Virgin Q pheromone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNir

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-15
I put couple of VQ’s in nucs today, both about 2-3hr after emerging. Placed in the nuc inside roller cage, as both have large no. of foragers.
Both completely ignored the VQ in the cage.

Are they likely to start attend to her?

How long does it take for the Q pheromone to start ‘working’?

Thanks.

I put couple of VQ’s in nucs today, both about 2-3hr after emerging. Placed in the nuc inside roller cage, as both have large no. of foragers.
Both completely ignored the VQ in the cage.

Are they likely to start attend to her?

How long does it take for the Q pheromone to start ‘working’?

Thanks.

Older foragers are only interested in foraging. You need young bees to tend the queen

Often a hive does not mind about just emerged queen and introduced queen , but they kill it later when the scent arises.

If bees ignore the queen in the cage, it is a good sign.

Last edited:
Older foragers are only interested in foraging. You need young bees to tend the queen

Plenty of young bees in the nucs. Just used roller cages (24hr) to make sure the foragers are not too aggressive towards her.

Will the young bees attend to her while in the cage?

Just asking because they completely ignored her while inserting the cage. Cage placed in the middle of the hive.

Often a hive does not mind about just emerged queen and introduced queen , but they kill it later when the scent arises.

If bees ignore the queen in the cage, it is a good sign.

Do we know at what point the scent is noticeable? Is it 12-24hr after emerging?

Do we know at what point the scent is noticeable? Is it 12-24hr after emerging?

I dont know.

Today I had a queenless 3 frame nuc, which run over out walls even if it rained. I gove a just emerged queen. the colony calmed down very soon. It tells that queen odor is in the just born bug.

And another queen identifyes the just born queen and kills it.

Last edited:
Plenty of young bees in the nucs. Just used roller cages (24hr) to make sure the foragers are not too aggressive towards her.

Will the young bees attend to her while in the cage?

Just asking because they completely ignored her while inserting the cage. Cage placed in the middle of the hive.

Same thing as parking a few virgins up for a few days.
As they syrvive that it can only be presumed they are fed.
The key thing to remember here is the colony is queenless,
effectively.

Bill

Back