Very slow development of nucleus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Dawson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got a 5 frame nucleus last Autumn and I still have 3 brood frames with undrawn wax. I was expecting them to be in the super by now, but they seem to be developing very slowly. Is it the weather/

A 5 frame nuc should by now be moving forward and for slow build up it’s a classic symptom of Nosema

I agree, However some bees are not great wax makers, and the cold has made them even slower, they need energy from stores to make wax and if like me, this is the first week with a flow and you haven't been feeding then that won't have helped!
E

my guess would be one of these three:
1. pegged back by varroa
2. crap queen
3. pegged back by nosema

Possibly yes, but before diving into the disease drawer what about held back by lack of bees?

I had a nuc the same, and this last week it is suddenly flourishing, how odd....

But you see when the weather changes so often does performance as the bees can literally relax and release more bodies for other duties than just keeping the brood warm.

PH

1. pegged back by varroa
2. crap queen
3. pegged back by nosema

And I would add

4) pegged back by adding a super to a small colony too early in the recent past weather conditiuons.

Knowing how they were over-wintered and subsequent management might be elucidating.

Last edited:
1. pegged back by varroa
2. crap queen
3. pegged back by nosema

And I would add

4) pegged back by adding a super to a small colony too early in the ecent past weather conditiuons.

Knowing how they were over-wintered and subsequent management might be elucidating.

Read the question properly RAB, Rod wrote "I was expecting them to be in the super by now", not that they'd been given one ;)

Umm how can there be an expectation of being there, if the "there" is absent?

As I posted it most likely relates to warmth issues. It usually does...

PH

Umm how can there be an expectation of being there, if the "there" is absent?

As I posted it most likely relates to warmth issues. It usually does...

PH

Rod has one hive, "the super" may refer to the one in the shed.
On warmth, others have reported expanding mini nucs onto full sized frames already, shows what can be done if 1,2 and 3 do not apply.

Read the question properly RAB,

I did. I agree witH PH. If there ain't one on it they ain't gonna be in it. Perhaps you missed that?

It most certainly does not say 'I was expecting to have a super on by now'. If it had, it would have been clear to me and you.

Last edited:
I put the super on 4 weeks ago (thats what my book told me to do), but many thanks for the concern over where the super was. I do have one in the shed too because I'm an optimist! Rod

Your book told you to put it on by date or by colony strength?

PH

Have the colony started growing more rapidly now the weather has warmed up? If not, you have to consider disease as the most likely problem.

thats what my book told me to do

Don't believe all you read in books. This spring has had unprecedented weather and any book which gives a date to be adding a super needs consigning to the waste bin. One should never contemplate adding a super to a weak colony. Enough space and no more is best for the bees.

Take note of sensible advice, and don't be distracted by those that continually try to be contrary. I have compiled a list of these type postings. The pattern is clear enough.

RAB

slow nucs

Take note of sensible advice, and don't be distracted by those that continually try to be contraryI have compiled a list of these type postings. The pattern is clear enough.

RAB

For us newbies, all advice is potentially sensible and how does one differentiate between two posters being equally contrary?
Sometimes it's like kids in the playground or should I say pistols at dawn!:)

For us newbies, all advice is potentially sensible and how does one differentiate between two posters being equally contrary?
Sometimes it's like kids in the playground or should I say pistols at dawn!:)

:iagree:

For us newbies, all advice is potentially sensible

BUT it isn't.
There's stuff you have to commit to memory. Life cycle of the bee would be a good start. If you understand how a colony operates you are a long way toward working with them.
I'm only in my third year, I have a lot to learn about manipulation techniques but what I do know is that you have to stop and think why is this happening, what might I do?
Some advice here is rubbish.
Some is food for thought....the best I think.
Some might give you the answer to a simple problem without you thinking about it.
In the end your decision has to be made on sound knowledge
Sorry.......rant over.................It's been a hot day and I have the removal men in.
At least they left the router.....:biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Totally agree with Erica. Recently have been seeing quite a lot of advice here that does not add up when you think about it.

There are so many ways of doing things, especially in beekeeping, seek advice from several sources, think about what is said and go with the one you prefer.

Back