Very pale honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbybees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, I am a relatively new bee keeper and new to this forum, and keen to learn as much as possible.
I have just harvested 2 supers from a new established hive this year, very prolific hive, loads of bees.
The honey is very different from the amber honey last year. It is very pale, it's very light yellow colour. It tastes ok, not quite as good as last year, slightly unusual taste.
Has anyone else had very pale honey so far this year, just wondered if it's to do with the dreadful wet weather, affecting what plants are available.
Cheers Bob

Hi all, I am a relatively new bee keeper and new to this forum, and keen to learn as much as possible.
I have just harvested 2 supers from a new established hive this year, very prolific hive, loads of bees.
The honey is very different from the amber honey last year. It is very pale, it's very light yellow colour. It tastes ok, not quite as good as last year, slightly unusual taste.
Has anyone else had very pale honey so far this year, just wondered if it's to do with the dreadful wet weather, affecting what plants are available.
Cheers Bob
Hi, not that I am aware of. But maybe ??

not that I am aware of. But maybe
keen to learn
When you're out and about, keep an eye on the fields and hedgerows, take the dog on an unusual route, talk to farmers, talk to anyone about what is in flower within two miles of your bees. After a few years you will have network of knowledge to ID forage.

Pale or clear at this time could be clover, Himalyan balsam (HB) or borage. The first is everywhere, the second near waterways, the last will be obvious blue-lilac fields. Strong yellow will be ragwort, doing well this year, though where I have bees they are ignoring it in favour of HB, which conatins 48% more nectar than any UK plant.

tastes ok, not quite as good as last year, slightly unusual taste
If it's borage it will taste of sugar; HB is very slightly lemon-coloured and with a teensy bit of flavour.

When you're out and about, keep an eye on the fields and hedgerows, take the dog on an unusual route, talk to farmers, talk to anyone about what is in flower within two miles of your bees. After a few years you will have network of knowledge to ID forage.

Pale or clear at this time could be clover, Himalyan balsam (HB) or borage. The first is everywhere, the second near waterways, the last will be obvious blue-lilac fields. Strong yellow will be ragwort, doing well this year, though where I have bees they are ignoring it in favour of HB, which conatins 48% more nectar than any UK plant.

If it's borage it will taste of sugar; HB is very slightly lemon-coloured and with a teensy bit of flavour.
Thanks very much for the reply. Really interesting, we have loads of Himalayan balsam, not far away, near the river Dee, and the honey is a very light lemon colour. Seems to fit well. Nice to know. Many thanks Bob

Just taken off some nice lime tasting honey from my garden hive not pale plae but very much lighter then my floral honey and Blackberry honey.

Latest posts

Back